Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doityourselfer_ed  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:17:09 PM(UTC)
doityourselfer_ed

Groups: Registered

The microwave oven door on my Whirlpool GM8131XEB0 microwave/convection oven would not open. I was able to remove the outer housing and release the door by removing the upper "Latch board #3".

I quickly saw that there was a problem with the door latches and proceeded to remove the door from the oven. I did this by removing the hinges (#5) on the base plate and the oven cavity. :mad: Yes, I now know that this was not the best way to do this, and that it wasn't necessary to do this either.

After removing the "choke cover #5" from the door it was easy to identify that the bottom latch (#13) needed to be replaced. I have ordered those parts.

Two Questions:
1) In removing the choke cover #5, I managed to crack it in one spot. This part appears to be purely cosmetic and I believe that I should be able to reassemble this and not have to replace it, with the option of glueing it at the point where it cracked. Would you agree?

2) When I put the door back on I will have to align the door properly. I believe that a good test for this would be to close the door on a strip of paper, and then pull the paper out. I expect that I should feel a slight degree of resistence as I pull it out. I would then repeat this all the way around the door after making any adjustments. Would you agree with this procedure, or could you offer any advise on what I should do when I put the hinges and door back onto the oven again to obtain proper alignment.

Thank you!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.