Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 10:22:44 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was given the above older model Maytag washer by a friend who complained that it did not seem to spin out the water at the end of the normal wash cycle. This is an older model Maytag top load washer in very nice clean condition with s/n 075616. I removed the front panel and turned the machine up on its back to access the belts. The main belt was in bad condition and almost destroyed. The pump belt was in decent condition with some wear and a little glazing. New belts were installed and the tension was checked and it was very close to the spec for tension. I checked the tension springs on the underside of the motor to see if they were stretched or broken.. They were not broken but I am asking other techs as to how to check for tension as I think they (2 springs) are insufficient to keep the main belt tight when the motor tries to spin out the water with a heavy load of clothes and eventually the belt slips. I am considering putting an extra spring in with the existing 2 springs to get better life of the main belt. Any comments ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceaid1  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 7:45:08 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Groups: Senior Expert
Canada

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi,

Belt tension...

UserPostedImage

Make sure the tracks are clean and lubricated. No real test for the spring tensions....for me it was more of an gut feeling. Motor should kick in towards the middle of the washer when spin and drain starts to put slack on the belt. Once enough water is drained out the motor will move forward to put more tension on the belt and the spin will become faster.

Appliance Repair Aid
https://www.applianceaid.com/
applianceaid1  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 7:45:45 PM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

If needed:

LINK> Motor Mount Roller and Spring Kit

*I* was never a fan of adding a 3rd spring, the washer was designed to use 2.
Also check/clean the motor pulley and tranny pulley.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2024 10:26:35 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. I have cleaned the pulley grooves and checked the tension of the belt. Looks correct but still seems to be looser than I expect it to be. I checked the belt size/length of the new one as compared to the old one which was worn badly and glazed and they looked to be about the same length. I would expect the new one to be be slightly shorter. Is it possible that some vendor belts are not quite the same length ?
applianceaid1  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2024 7:12:04 AM(UTC)
applianceaid1

Canada

No-name parts (often from Amazon or Ebay) are not the same as OEM parts......JMO!

Full tub should drain out in approx 90 seconds. This -should- give you an idea if the tension seems ok.

LINK> Pump and Drive Belt Kit.

jeff sr.
Appliance Repair Aid