Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 8:33:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Cafe fridge defrost issues

Freezer keeps frosting up.

I have a cwe19sp4nnw2 CAFE counter depth french door fridge over freezer w/o exterior water or ice maker. I can't find any service manual or mini manual for this fridge maybe because it is counterdepth? I also can't figure out if there is a diagnostic mode or how to access it. Most GE fridges use the external ice maker controls to enter diagnostic mode but I do not have that on mine.

The fridge started making a lot of noise and it turned out that the evaporator fan was rubbing on some ice that was built up on the condenser. I defrosted it but a few weeks later the same thing happened again. I again defrosted it and tested the defrost heater, and it looks good (non open, I forget the exact resistance but it was less than 100ohms I believe).

A couple weeks later I noticed some stuff on the top shelf of the fridge was frozen, then a week after that the fridge was room temperature but the freezer was still cold. I opened it up again expecting the damper to be the issue but the damper was open, no air was coming out of the vent from the freezer. So I again open up the freezer back panel to find that the evaporator is frozen solid. I defrosted it again to buy me some time to figure out what the real problem is. I know there is a defrost thermostat and maybe a defrost switch or timer but I am unsure where all of these components are and how to test these to know if they are bad.

If anyone has a manual with wiring diagrams and diagnostic mode info I would really appreciate it. Or if anyone has any pointers as to next steps, I could use all the help I can get!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.