Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dz63  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:02:18 PM(UTC)
dz63

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: hawkeye64 Go to Quoted Post
In my case both springs broke off at the loop where they connect to the aluminun tangs. I had already bought the replacement motor so I went ahead with it. But if I had two springs of the right size and tension the old motor would be good to go again.
That's interesting and a bit unusual - the springs broke rather than cutting through the aluminum. Good to hear that you got your dryer working again!
cjecwest  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:12:30 AM(UTC)
cjecwest

Hi, interesting post - I did the same repair on the old clips and then went searching to see if there where replacement clips. Did you ever find them? Seems ridiculous to replace the whole motor. I drilled holes in the old ones and it is working fine, but I know it's only a matter of time.
cjecwest  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:45:58 AM(UTC)
cjecwest

Great post - Any leads on replacement retainers? I removed mine and drilled holes, put them back in and all is well (for now). Thanks!
pbbbpcd  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 7:18:33 AM(UTC)
pbbbpcd

[FONT=Calibri","sans-serif]This post has been very helpful. Using mostly the info you provided (in conjunction with other info from various websites), I was able to make out a good case and convinced LG to cover the cost of a new motor. I only had to pay for the labor. Since LG does not sell parts directly to customers (at least not here in Quebec), I saved quite a lot of money. Thank you![/FONT]
bjunge  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:19:33 AM(UTC)
bjunge

Great instruction - had the exact same problem and for $120 and and 1.25 hours, all is well again. As mentioned, the belt alignment and also getting the front housing back on without losing the drum from the back proved the most complicated, but another set of hands made it much easier to juggle. (Keep the spouse nearby :) )

Many thanks for taking the time to make what sounded like a daunting task a very simple one - I really appreciate it.

-B
Fixithurry  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:27:36 PM(UTC)
Fixithurry

I did the dremel repair, to make the new hole for the spring using a dental #2 burr. It worked well for well over a year. But since the other hooks looked pretty good then I only did the one that had broken. Now another has broken, and the remaining two are almost broken now. And even the new hole I had made over a year ago is getting worn through too. So I'm very glad to find out here that there is an improved motor to put in.
To anyone making the new hook slot in their old motor be sure to do all four hooks. And expect them to not last more than a year or so. (Based on using it about 10 times a week.)

Thanks
shofmon  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2015 2:43:40 PM(UTC)
shofmon

I am so glad i did a search and found this thread. I was about to try to replace some other parts thinking that heat protection was keeping it from running. The clincher was when you said to reach in and push door button and push start and spin drum. Boom it ran. When i pulled out the old motor the one side was broken and a spring was found loose just as mentioned. Cool. The caution provided in replacement was very well advised. I had also kept track of all the screws in numbered baggies with post its. I did run into a little issue with the reverse threaded nut and pulley side tightening the fan back on. When you tighten one side the other would come loose so i had to use a small vise grip on the shaft to hold it in place to tighten both ends enough . Thanks for all the hard work doing this. :)
jmarcus2000  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 7:18:10 PM(UTC)
jmarcus2000

I had the same exact problem after 4 years. I bought a replacement motor from Speedy Appliance Parts | Get Quality Parts, FAST!. The diet wouldn't work at all. I disassembled and reassembled the dryer 3 times to no avail. I looked at the old motor and it had s missing spring and one brown bracket as you described.

I went to ace and bought a spring that was a little too long but had the right tension. I carefully drilled a small hole in each bracket where the spring had been. I cut and fashioned the new spring to fit, although it didn't match the other springs. Then I reassembled the dryer. It worked perfectly, so far for 4 loads.

I tried to return the new defective motor and I had to go on an Internet tech help forum. I dealt with the company, and after proving I had to repair the old motor with the receipt for the $2.59 spring, they immediately refunded my money and didn't even want the defective motor sent back. I will attempt to diagnose and repair the defective motor, eventually replacing the old motor.
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2024 9:15:04 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thank you for posting, a big help. My LG DLE 7100W was only 4 years old, not heavy use. Bad motor design.