Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eddie1975  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:22:06 PM(UTC)
eddie1975

Groups: Registered

3rd try.....

Will be taking this thing apart for the third time.... Here's the deal, my friends: My Whirlpool top loading direct drive washer model GSW9650LW0 will go through the wash cycle but will not spin or agitate. When it gets to the parts of the cycle where it's suppose to turn back and forth or spin you can hear the engine going and what sounds like gears grinding or something of that nature.

In taking it apart, I found one of the plastic motor couplings to be broken (http://www.appliancepartspros.c...t_id=3963893&image=0). This website even mentions that a new design reinforced with metal sleeves is now used so I thought, "ok, that must break a lot - poor design or cheap material - guess I'm on the right track".

So I've purchased the part and replaced it, put it all together and can hear the engine going or trying to go but the drive tube / vertical rod is not turning. The grinding sound is gone but it seems like the gearcase is stuck. I took the gearcase apart again but nothing appears wrong (at least not to my untrained eye).
:mad:
Maybe I didn't put it back together correctly from the first time I opened it to look for the problem but I'm wondering if maybe there is a special sequence that you have follow to put all this together so that the engine and gearbox are in synch or the gears are in place or something you have to do to make the parts lock together and the gears come together or something in the cycle to get back in synch.
:confused:
OR, maybe the coupling broke because the engine was going and the gearbox was stuck so the coupling breaking might be an after-effect not a root cause.

Appreciate any and all info, tips and tricks you might offer. I've spent like 5 hours on this site so far, reading and decifering diagrams and decided to ask for help - thanks! :)

Ed
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:58:24 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Generally it isn't recommended to tear into the gear case, but.... You might want to check to see if the brake or clutch is locked up. And also check to see if the lidswitch is connected or broken.

Nat
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:22:19 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull the pump and motor off and turn the tranny coupler clockwise for spin and counterclockwise for agitate. If very hard to turn in spin, you have something stuck in the tub, or dragging brake shoes. Post results.
eddie1975  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:27:18 PM(UTC)
eddie1975

...before finding the problem with the broken motor couplings the gearcase was taken apart to look for the issue. Nothing was wrong with it but apparently it was not put back together properly and the gears broke when the machine was turned back on. I ordered a whole new gearcase and now the machine agitates but does NOT spin or drain. What do you think? Is it the brake shoes dragging? What do you do, replace them?
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 2:04:19 AM(UTC)
richappy

Does the motor run in spin?
eddie1975  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 2:18:25 PM(UTC)
eddie1975

...yes, it sounds like it is running and tries to spin. There is a humming sound like the motor is trying to spin but can't move at all. This happens when it goes from agitate mode, which works fine, to the spin part of the cycle. It also won't drain the water when I push the dial in and move it to the end of the cycle manually and pull it out to start emptying the water.

My friend had taken the brake assembly apart when looking for the problem. He is wondering if maybe he did not put it back together properly or maybe the brake being stuck was the problem to begin with that broke the coupler.

Today we plan to remove the engine and pump and see if we can manually rotate the coupler clockwise and counterclockwise. If not, we'll open up the breaks and see if we can figure out how it's supposed to be installed and test again. I'm wondering though if it's best to just replace that whole section that contains the brake and drive tube parts.

I appreciate your advice. We have put in too much time and money replacing the gearcase to give up now though my wife is pushing to just go out and buy a new one.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:35:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

Also, make sure there is nothing blocking the pump.
eddie1975  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:07:15 PM(UTC)
eddie1975

Our whirpool direct drive will agitate but won't drain the water and spin. I removed the pump and motor and with an electric drill I was able to turn the coupler and have it properly agitate in one direction and spin in the other but when I place the motor back in it won't spin. You would think that huge washer motor would be stronger then a regular electric screw driver. So, since it won't drain the water do you think it's the pump? (though it appeared fine when I had looked it at) or the brakes? or something else?

Thanks for the help!

Ed
PS: without using the electric drill, just with my fingers I can spin the coupler in the agitate direction but when I switch directions it will spin a little and then when the breaks engage it will get really stiff - pretty much unable to turn it any further by hand to engage spin mode.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:08:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

You have stuck brake shoes. For repair info, go to my "sticky" above, "replacing direct drive washer brake shoes". For the no agitate problem, remove the pump and see if it will now agitate, if so, you have a jammed pump.
eddie1975  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:06:12 PM(UTC)
eddie1975

I bought and replaced the entire brake assembly and clutch but no change: it fills up with water, agitates but when it gets to the part of the cycle where it's supposed to drain and spin I just hear a constant humming like the motor can't move.

So, based on these symptoms what do you think it might be?

- coupler: was broken and first thing replaced
- gear case: replaced the whole thing
- brake shoes and clutch: replaced the whole thing
- pump??? I can manually turn the pump. It doens't spin easily but it does spin.
- the main cycle knob? could it be a problem with it? could it be a problem with the wires? or something short circuiting?

I very much appreciate the help.

Ed