Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ForumUser1  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2023 8:29:01 AM(UTC)
ForumUser1

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi All,

My neighbor insisted on replacing their very nice stainless Gold Series Whirlpool side by side because of a bad control board.

I am now troubleshooting it, and think I have determine the cause.

The control board seems to operate normally, except the power control relay did not work. I localized it as the issue by tapping on the relays - it would very momentarily operate - as evidenced by the condenser fan "twitching" - occasionally even running for a second, but then off. I pulled the board, removed the top of the relay and found the points on the powered on side charred liked from repeated arcing. Was able to restore operation by sanding the points and rebending the relay frame a bit. On this relay a magnet is powered and it operates against a plastic actuator to move the points.

This is not a permanent solution - only until I can order a new relay to repair the board.

My question relates to whether the board is operating normally otherwise. After cranking it back up and letting it run overnight, I reset the freezer and refrig to the warmest temp in hopes of observing the control board cycle the compressor off to allow the temps to increase - but, this has not happened. I can't find much on how this SHOULD work ... anyone know?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.