Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hallway  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 1:48:24 PM(UTC)
hallway

Groups: Registered

Water leaking from center of unit during wash cycle. Initially thought it was tub seal, but a leak from the tub seal would roll off the water suspension plate? This leak is dead center through the clutch assembly. I'm thinking it must be leaking through point A or point B in the attached photo. Does this make sense? Is this serviceable?
hallway attached the following image(s):
Washer.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:40:08 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Most of the time its the tub seal. Yours shows rust in the area.

Whirlpool W10814296 Gasket - AppliancePartsPros.com

But this is "A"

Whirlpool WP91939 Upper Transmission Shaft Seal - AppliancePartsPros.com

And this should be "B"

Whirlpool WP8577376 Seal - AppliancePartsPros.com

I'd sand off the rust, repaint, and install the $5 seal. Then test it. If its still leaking you can decide what else you want to do.
hallway  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:47:22 AM(UTC)
hallway

I still suspected the WP8577376 seal at point "B" over the tub seal due to how the water was leaking through the clutch assembly and not rolling off the washer support.

While I had the agitator and spin basket removed, I ran a wash cycle with the water level set for small load. The water level stopped just below the seal at point "B" with no leak. I ran another wash cycle after increasing the water level setting. This time the water level was above the seal at point "B" and below the seal at point "A", and I had the leak.

I pulled out the washer transmission and washer drive/brake assembly, and I replaced the WP8577376 seal. Removing the old seal was more difficult than expected; but after replacing the seal, the leak was gone!

Thanks for your help.
AllenH  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2022 4:55:11 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a similar problem with a Kenmore top-load high capacity (110.26732502). I think it is also the outer shaft seal - not the higher up seals (which have already been replaced). I've previously replaced the outer basket seal (the main one that often is mentioned first). So, I was able to replace the seals at "A" in similar arrangement in my washer, but haven't been able to determine which seals are to be replaced at "B" - that lower seal area. Can anyone advise me as to which seals are necessary at "B" to be replaced? Is that part number: 91938?

I realize this is crazy to ask here, so will also likely send e-mail if I can find it for support via APPros.

Thanks for your thoughts!
-Allen
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply