Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
propbeanie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2022 12:07:53 PM(UTC)
propbeanie

Groups: Registered
United States

I have what seems to be a very rare beast. Possibly the rarest of those still in use... lol - Anyway, this is a mid to late 1980s Whirlpool R5670PXK-1 drop-in range. The drop-ins are similar to a slide-in, but do not have the bottom tray drawer, but rather sit on a "pedestal" in the cabinetry. This one has a smallish oven, 4 burner elements (NOT a glass top), and a control panel on the right side on the top, with the oven controls and timer on a front face. I have an owner's manual, which is not a shop manual, and says nothing about disassembly of anything.

I had a jar of honey fall out of a cabinet above the stove, which landed on the right-front burner control, aka: infinite switch, which snapped the shaft off even with the surface top. I have found places with the part, but before placing an order for the part, I have been attempting to open the range to verify the part inside. I do have the front face off (rather easy), but I do not see an obvious way to get under the panel for the four infinite switches. Maybe I have to take off the other three knobs and loosen the two screws that hold the other infinite switches in? I don't know. I was also looking at replacing the beast sometime in the future, but cannot figure-out how to get the cooktop to come up either. There are screws below each burner drip cup that I can see coming through the pan, but there is also a screw in the middle, that does not appear to be accessible.

Has anyone ever attempted repairs on one of these? I do not want to have to take the bfh to it. How can I take it apart??... Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.