Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan4  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2020 8:56:32 AM(UTC)
stan4

Groups: Registered
United States

It's a song coming every few hours from our garage. Only thing capable of making noise in that part of the garage is our Whirlpool upright freezer (WZF56R16DW00) or our very turned off weekend car (and I already checked with the service dept - no such chiming song is made by this car).

It's a 7 note chime. Like a song.

Totally random times.

Pretty loud. We actually hear it in the house. Though one day I was sitting IN THE CAR and heard it.

Everything in the freezer seems fine. Freezing well. No buzzing, motor noises, extra heat, red lights or beeping, or any sign anything is amiss with the freezer itself.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dw625  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 9:59:45 AM(UTC)
Dw625

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure out how to make the music stop? Mine seems to do it at the end of a compressor cycle. But not everytime.
Nitram987  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2021 2:53:55 PM(UTC)
Nitram987

Canada

It's the control board being inadvertently affected by noise it's picking up on the wires feeding the rather distant alarm piezo (which happens to be located at the bottom right rear of the chassis behind its cardboard shield). You need to find Technical Service Pointer W10854827 which lightly describes this, and then install W10861568 (which currently supercedes W10846247).

After many months of bewilderment, THIS WORKS! (and I'm an electrical engineer). Who would have guessed that these wires, running along side many other wires within the freezer's interior would create such a problem. The tune will be the same tune that you can recreate by manually turning off then on its cooling function via the interior "Temp Setting, Cooling ON/OFF" button for 3 seconds. Yes it does seem to coincide with the end of a compressor cycle, but that is only because any off/on cooling command to the control board begins with the compressor turning off for some minutes (which is a normal programmed-in period to protect its compressor).

You will notice that if you unplugged and plugged back in the freezer, that will produce a different tune. Don't confuse your problem with that and think that you have a mains power problem. As mentioned above, the tune is the same tune as you'd hear by manually turning off then on its cooling function. That's what the noise on wires is causing the control board to think you want it to do. It's a darn good thing that it at least defaults to turning the cooling back on!!!
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2021 5:32:33 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Nitram987, I had a whirlpool tech in yesterday and he replaced the part per your description. However he spliced the new part onto the wires of the old part after cutting off the old alarm piezo. He did this because the new unit has a plug in end while our freezer's original unit was physically wire connected and not a plug in interface. The problem persists despite the unit having been replaced, and I suspect this is because all of the wires from the original unit are still there with the new unit spliced onto them.

Question: when you replaced yours did you fully remove the original unit and it's associated wires or did you splice in the new part?
Nitram987  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 2:07:49 PM(UTC)
Nitram987

Canada

I'm sorry "Guest". Even cutting the old wires that exit out of the controller box to the piezo, and then installing the piezo inside the controller box using just short wires, DID NOT solve the melodies. They came back. So, after too many hours, and without any additional manufacturer info, I have given up. I am currently using a Govee WiFi Thermo-Hygrometer to ensure that my freezer is keeping my food properly frozen at all times. I also installed a 120-volt box-fan pointing at the compressor and wired into its 2 power lines in order to keep the compressor from getting too hot. I'm hoping to get another 4 years out of this strangely temperamental Whirlpool upright freezer.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2022 4:21:55 PM(UTC)

United States

Nitram987, where does this piece, W10861568, go in the freezer?
Did you find instructions for installation?
(I have spent so long to find this information, now i have the piece to install, but dont know where to begin)

Also, it sounds like you did this, AND it still did not work. Is that correct?
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 12:21:11 PM(UTC)

United States

When the cpmpressor turns off, the flyback spike causes the control board to reset and issue the melody. This is happening as the control board varistor slowly degrades towards a short.
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2023 5:16:02 PM(UTC)

United States

As it turns out, only an expensive new control board assembly solves it. BTW, you'll likely find that the resets are not allowing auto defrost to ever occur.
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2023 4:49:26 PM(UTC)

United States

I have the same problem hear the same ‘song’ that drives my dog crazy at all hours at random intervals. Replace the control board for $400 and it still sings to me. HELP!
#10 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2023 6:10:56 AM(UTC)

United States

I'm having the same problem. How come no one can figure this out? This is ridiculous!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply