Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fhorta  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:27:17 PM(UTC)
fhorta

Groups: Registered

Well, restarting a new thread because i now know where leaking is coming from now and question is now different. Still dealing with a water leak but it is not coming from the tub seal, water pump, or water hoses. As the the tub fills an d as the water comes up it goes under and up the agitator and agitator coupling, then up the shaft.

So basically there is the shaft where the agitator coupling inserts into (maybe it has another name, not fMiliar with part names) .Then there is the shaft where the tub nut, washer and split ring go on. The water is going through between these two shafts and coming down the middle of the washer towards the bottom and landing on the big pulley. Hopefully this makes sense. I'm not sure how there can be a seal or something between the two parts; anyone had a similar experience? Ideas and suggestioins are greatly aopreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 3:32:54 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I doubt that is the source of your leak. While the agitator shaft seal can fail and water can get in between the agitator shaft and spin tube, the only place it can go from there is into the transmission gearbox, which is already full of oil. There's nowhere for it to come out unless the oil fill seal is compromised but then you would have oil everywhere. If your 100% sure this is the problem and water is somehow coming back out of the transmission somewhere, the transmission is not serviceable, no parts available unless you improvise.

Eric
fhorta  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 6:58:18 AM(UTC)
fhorta

I was thinking the same thing, how can water go down into the transmission. Maybe it has an escape route somehow to prevent damage in such case that seal fails is what I thought.

But with everything out and as I was about to take tub seal out I noticed the separation between drive shaft and tub shaft.noticed rubber around drive shaft that was worn. I poured water in there and out it came down the bottom, through the tranny. No oil has ever been noticed.

Shame that with everything else working perfectly I have to dispose of a $600 washer due to a little rubber seal. I tried improvising by using plastic to prevent water from going up there but didn't work. Any ideas??, other than new tranny.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:21:31 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

I would replace the transmission. Water in the gearbox is not good.

Eric
fhorta  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 10:37:49 AM(UTC)
fhorta

I was wondering....would the inner tub (basket) have seals, gaskets, or something inside it that has worn and causing the leak. I'm not refering to the tub seal of course, which is not part of the inner basket..so maybe replacing the basket might fix the problem??
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 12:45:03 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The inner tub has no seals, it's full of holes. Only a problem with the outer tub could cause a leak.

Eric
#7 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 3:06:25 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
use white thin rope wrap it 3 to 6 times... it will stop the tran oil from escaping through agitator neck... use a long bristle cleaner to clean the inside of the agitator... the bristle is similar to a babys bottle cleaner...if your clothes are pickingvup tran oil use a degresser and clean everything... you must clean everything that has tran oil...Problem solved ...
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 4:53:55 AM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
That last guest reply intrigues me, but a few more details would help. How thin should the rope be and of what material? Does it replace the existing agitator shaft seal or augment it? How long can I expect such a repair to last?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply