Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thisdoesfine  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:53:02 AM(UTC)
thisdoesfine

Groups: Registered
United States

As stated, I came home to a warm freezer / fridge. Here's what I've tested.

Thermostat does turn on / off the compressor fan and compressor.

Engaged / disengaged the defrost cycle with a flat head screwdriver (defrost bar isn't hot)

No dirt or dust underneath (had recently been cleaned out with forced air)

Compressor fan is running, compressor does get hot (130ºF)

One copper tube coming out of compressor gets hot, the other is room temp.

Evap coils weren't frozen over, not showing signs of getting any frost at all though. Only the line coming in for the 1st foot or so gets iced over.

Tested compressor starter / overload for continuity, passed both

Freezer got to about 50ºF and wouldn't get colder.

Looking for the start capacitor to test it, haven't found it yet. Going to the garage to look again after posting this. I'll test and reply with findings if I find it.

(Update 1: It had been over a day since it was plugged in. I plugged it in 2 hours ago and it's not cooling at all. Temp inside freezer is the same as the room, about 72. Compressor is still 130 while running. I unplugged it and plugged it in sitting next to it and I hear a distinct "click" about 5-10 seconds after powering on, and the compressor starts making a humming noise whereas it was quiet prior. None of the coils on the evap coils are cold, the line coming in is just slightly cooler.

No run capacitor on this unit that I can find. The clip holding the starter combo is flush and there is not capacitor attached.

Inside the start relay I did notice what looked like a slight burn mark on the plastic but it tested fine and that disc that can break was intact.)

Thanks for any help.

Edited by user Thursday, November 18, 2021 5:22:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 12:36:17 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you are sure the compressor is running and there is little to no frost on the evaporator coils, then the refrigerator is probably very low on freon. Freon can be added, but it will just leak out again. Unless the leak is found and sealed it will just keep leaking. Its not a simple or easy fix. How old is your refrigerator?
thisdoesfine  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2021 6:42:28 AM(UTC)
thisdoesfine

United States

So, I feel I know the compressor is running for the following reasons. When I first power the fridge on, the compressor is cold and not making much noise. After a few seconds I hear a click and the compressor makes a little more noise and then warms up. It got to about 170ºF yesterday via a laser thermometer. I'm honestly thinking low on freon aka leak is what's going on as well. The fridge is 16 years old. I wouldn't invest much $ to fix it which is why I've been trying to self diagnose as far as I can. Without proper tools and knowledge, I think I've exhausted everything I can test.

Yesterday I did go buy a 3 in 1 start relay as it was the only part that I thought may not be good even though it tested fine. The new one didn't make a difference. It still powers up fairly quiet, a slight click then the compressor makes more noise. No frost on the evap coils at all now. The other day there was some frost, down to no frost.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2021 4:23:53 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
At 16 years its probably done. I've seen refrigerators 5 years old that had lost their freon already, but that's rare. After 10 years you're running on extended time. You go as far as you can. The days of 30 and 40 year old fridges is gone. This modern stuff isn't built well enough.
thisdoesfine  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2021 9:46:49 AM(UTC)
thisdoesfine

United States

I decided to bring it to the dump. I bought an off brand new one for $449 for the garage. It's perfect for what I need. I would have spent 1/4 of that to just have someone come out and diagnose what I likely already had come to.

Thanks for responding.