Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ppipowerclass  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:44:33 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Groups: Registered

This isn't really a question, just something I discovered when I had two of the same model year dryers. One gas, one electric. The electric one wouldn't work on the timed dry setting. The other settings, it heated just fine. So, I decided to take the timer apart. Two of the contacts were pretty well melted. I guess that's what one should expect on a little older dryer with parts made in Mexico.

So I had the SAME model sitting here, but gas. I don't have gas, so I don't repair them. So I decided to set the two timers next to each other, apart, and see what the difference was and if I could swap them. The only difference that I could see, was the advance motor on the timer. The one out of the electric dryer has a 230V motor. The one out of the gas, 115V, as it should. So, I swapped the motors, put the timer out of the gas dryer in the electric one, and.. Works perfectly. The contacts inside of the timers ( Unless my $500 multi meter was lying to me ), are exactly the same.

This is food for thought if anyone ever runs into this issue I guess.

I do have one question. Is there anywhere online that sells the internal parts for these timers? I can't imagine a thin piece of metal with another piece of metal on the end would be as expensive as a timer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 11:23:28 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The only place you're going to get contacts like that from are the factory that made it or another timer. Those contacts are set in there and don't really come out very well.

I'm surprised the cycles were the same.
ppipowerclass  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 2:32:51 PM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

Quote:
The only place you're going to get contacts like that from are the factory that made it or another timer. Those contacts are set in there and don't really come out very well.

Well, that sucks. I got the contacts out easily enough. I guess I can keep them and just replace them as needed. I think it's foolish to spend top dollar for a timer, when you can change a contact for a fraction of the price. Guess everyone is so quick to throw everything away anymore.

Quote:

I'm surprised the cycles were the same.

It was literally the SAME model dryer. Exactly the same. Just one was gas, the other was electric. The timer numbers were only 1 different. But, it worked exactly the same. Like I said, the timer advance motor on the back was a different voltage. Other than that, exactly the same internally.
thorning  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 5:11:40 AM(UTC)
thorning

I work on lots of dryers and have found the same thing internally in timers. The contacts sometimes are burnt and they stick open or closed. I have at least 10 or 15 in my junk box and could possibly make one available to you if you can identify the timer better either by a p/n or maybe a photo or both . You can contact me on my e-mail as follows: jaybird@mtco.com
edgemagic823@gmail.com  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2021 8:26:33 AM(UTC)
edgemagic823@gmail.com

My original W10185982 is broken, I bought a same model but its specification is 115V, can it replace my original one? Thank you
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply