Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bsktbll  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 6, 2021 11:21:44 AM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Groups: Registered

Hello Parts Pro's

Its been awile, you guys have helped me a bunch in the past and hoping you can help again. Here is my problem. Spin cycle has been intermittent lately. Have been able to advance timer to another spin setting to get washer to spin. Have also removed some of the wet clothes to get washer to spin. Now, no agitation and no spin. Timer clicks, washer fills with water, but no agitation cycle and no spin. No motor humming, nothing. I have a bypass on the lid switch that has worked fine for years. Removed drive belt, all pullys rotate fine. Thought it was the motor, so swapped motor with a machine I have had in the garage with a bad transmission and still nothing. It is possible that motor is bad also but not sure. Unclear how to test motor. Stuck on where to go from here. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 5:01:30 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My guess is bad timer. You said you selected a different cycle and it spun out the clothes. Timers have all these leaf switches inside that move up and down on a cam driven by the timer motor. Eventually the switch contacts burn away and then they start missing. Usually they fail first in the cycles you use most. Timers aren't cheap, around $150 or so. You'll need to weigh the cost against the age of the machine.
Bsktbll  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 4:32:41 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

That guy, thank you for the insight. That was my next avenue to check the timer. I have that similar old machine in the garage with faulty transmission that I have been keeping around for just this reason. I will swap timers and let you know how it goes.
Bsktbll  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:01:31 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Hey Pro's: Well, swapped the timer with the machine in the garage with the bad transmission and still having the same problem. Timer is good. Can hear clicking from timer, but no spin and no agitation. Unit will fill with water.

Looking for some expert advice. ThatGuy, looking for your next best educated guess? Much appreciated!
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 2:58:52 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Unless the timer part numbers cross to each other, they probably won't work. They might have the motor contacts on different terminals in the wiring harness. It sounds like a lid switch problem, you might check the wiring to and from the lid switch. Also check for voltage at the motor. Continuity through the timer, pressure switch, and any other parts in circuit.
Bsktbll  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 4:34:14 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Timers were exactly the same. Had a tech out today for my oven and I asked him about the washer. He checked voltage at motor-was good. Pressure switch continuity was good. Lid switch is bypassed and doesn't appear to be problem. Tech checked/moved wires around with no apparent problems and says nothing else left in the circuit. Possibly ovelooking something, but stumped. Tech points to timer, but the swap out says other wise. I asked about testing the timer and tech stated no real way to test unless to tear it apart. I am not buying a timer for $150 only to find out not the problem. Not giving up but do not know what to do.
ThatGuy  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 5:04:06 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I don't know what to tell you. If you have the tech sheet or wiring diagram, you can test the timer contacts for continuity. It just takes some time and patience.
Bsktbll  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 5:14:31 PM(UTC)
Bsktbll

Yes, I believe that is what the Tech said. I do have the tech sheet. Let me ask you your expert opinion. I have been able to engage the motor a couple time by moving/depressing around the timer knob. About 3 times i heard the motor engage some just a couple just for an instance and once extended. Does this point to the timer as being the problem? It is possible when I swapped the timer that one was bad also. Or it could be a wiring problem?
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 5:50:29 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Some of the lid switches had a 10 amp fuse, might check on that. Found this... https://www.appliancepar...r-maytag-mav7650aww.html
Bsktbll  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 6:55:28 AM(UTC)
Bsktbll

ThatGuy, thanks but I see no fuse in the lid switch wiring and the fact that Timer motor advancing and clicking and I could get motor to engage a couple times (Although I cannot seem to repeat) tells me no blown fuse.

I am suspecting the Timer. I checked all timer contacts for continuity and all show resistance except for the "Fast" and "Slow" contacts. I am assuming this fast and slow is for both agitation and spinning and could be bad. Does my assumption appear correct? Not sure about what fast and slow is?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply