Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rene'  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:59:59 AM(UTC)
Rene'

Groups: Registered

About a week and a half ago I started the washer for a full (oversized) load of towels. I was going to be leaving for the day and meant to leave a note for my daughter to add detergent and bleach and let it run but I forgot. At some point later in the day my husband went in to the utility room and there was water all over the floor. He spun the water out and cleaned up the mess.

Tentatively I washed a small load the next day, having a towel wrapped around the front of the washer in case it leaked, but it didn't. So over the next week I washed very small loads at a time and not very often. Laundry started to pile up. I noticed that the towel in front of the washer was getting damp but nothing major.

On Monday morning I did a small load with 1 towel and a few washcloths and the washer leaked a tiny bit. I did another small load with 2 towels and not long after it had started agitating I walked in and the water was just pouring out of it. I spun the water out and got two fluffy towels sopping wet during the cleanup.

That night my husband took the lower front panel off and did some test runs so we could see where the leaking is. We ran it 5 times and not once did it leak! Empty loads, small loads with towels, finally a medium sized load with some of his winter shirts. Yesterday morning again I did a small load and a medium load with no leaking. :confused:

Is it possible that it's the main seal? Would it leak sometimes and not others? And why? The inside bottom of the washer was not even wet, no standing water. It did spray a few drops of water out onto the floor each time it started a spin cycle, but that is nothing compared to the gushing that has happened twice now.

I would appreciate any help or ideas. The washer is almost 9 years old. We have replaced the timer about 3 times, as well as a hose, the belt and the tension pulley. Most of those were done just over a year ago.

~Rene'
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:22:14 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

If there was no water in the base of the machine, I doubt the main tub seal is at fault. It is more likely that the stand pipe that the machine drains into is backing up and leaking. You should be able to tell if that is the case by filling the tub up and then drain it and watch that pipe to see if it overflows. Let me know what you find. You may need to do a couple tub fill and drain cycles to get the drain line full enough to cause a back up, if it is indeed the case.
Rene'  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:46:47 AM(UTC)
Rene'

This is actually what my husband was thinking because when he lifted the drain hose and the pushed it back in some water sloshed out. I didn't think so because there is no evidence of water in that area - the wall does not appear to have ever been wet, there is dust that is still fluffy looking. The floor behind the washer doesn't appear to have been recently wet either. Also, when it leaked the first time it wasn't even draining - the water had just been standing in the washer for a long time.

But I'll try filling/draining a couple of times and test it. Thank you for your reply!
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:56:15 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

It may not be it, but would be a good place to start. Leaks internally would leave water in the base of the machine, so that is a bit odd. Can you run a heavy load with the front off and see if you can get it to leak?
Rene'  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:46:30 AM(UTC)
Rene'

Okay, I found the leak. I filled the washer totally full of water and towels and checked on it after a few minutes. There was water spreading over the floor and I could hear a trickle. I took a picture.
UserPostedImage

I couldn't get my camera at the right angle, but I was able to see the water flowing from the center shaft of the washer and over that metal piece.

After examining more I see that there was some water in the bottom, but it was in the very middle. The outer edges of the inside bottom didn't really have water.

Will there be harm in continuing to use the washer with small loads until we can get a replacement?
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:55:59 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Bummer, that is a major repair. Nothing beyond leakage will result if you continue to use it, other than maybe the bearing getting destroyed, but if you are replacing the machine it won't matter anyway.
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2021 3:04:00 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello, I hope I can help you with leaking a washing machine.
The best way to diagnose this problem is first to learn how water flows throughout the washing machine so that you can understand the weak points to check in your Washer.

Possible Reasons Behind Washing Machine Leaking Water
Is Your Washer Balanced?
Check the Washing Machine’s Door
Did you Interrupt the Wash Cycle?
Faulty Water Level Switch
Check for the Drain Plug
Check Your Hoses
Inspect your Pump for Washing Machine Leaking Water
Check the Water Inlet Valve
Check the Catch Basket for Clogs
Inspect the Tub Cover Gasket

#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 12:14:35 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
dear Rene HI I KNOW IT WAS 9 YEARS AGO. BUT DID YOU REPAIR It? WHAT DID IT COST YOU? I HOPE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE. please reply if you can.
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 10:01:19 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you have the same model and same problem, those parts are no longer available.

https://www.appliancepar...r-maytag-sav365zaww.html

Part 13 on this diagram. Also it's a major job and a major pain in the neck to do. Sorry.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply