Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bucklahoo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2020 8:35:34 AM(UTC)
bucklahoo

Groups: Registered
United States

LG DLG2141W 8 years old, moderate use

Smell gas only when dryer is in use. Ran for a while on Cotton /Normal on high for only a little while and it was enough to smell when you walk past the area. Opened the door and the gas smell was in the empty dryer as well. Checked exhaust connections, inside tubing for lint, soap test for wall to dryer pipe and connections. Not sure if it matters but I didn't seem to smell gas when dryer was set to manual / speed dry on high?
Turned gas off at the wall. Hoping to diagnose but probably pay for the repair.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bucklahoo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2020 6:00:37 AM(UTC)
bucklahoo

Groups: Registered
United States

Just completed this job on a 8 year old LG DLG2141W, I am not a technician but I am mechanically inclined. I was smelling gas in the room and in the dryer after it ran for a while (valve not closing?). Everything was pretty straight forward and followed the video although the video may not match your model. I had two issues:
My valve wiring was backwards from what they showed, my top clip originally had the the double red wires facing the back of the dryer and my bottom clip had the white (pink showed in video) on the top.
The other pain was mounting the valve. Although it was a factory part they had changed the body a little bit. There was a slight difference in size in one area that kept me from aligning the the valve with the gas tube. I could put the faulty old valve in and out with no problem but the new one took some twisting to make work. This concerned me that the gas tube would not be flush and leak or if you didn't know what you were doing you could easily strip the brass gas tube which could cause a leak after vibrating and pulling apart. Wish there was some sort of facial gasket along with the o-ring gasket.
A very do-able job but my advice is if you don't feel comfortable, don't force things, it's not worth the danger.

Forgot to mention: turn on gas and check for leaks after install but before putting back together. The video mentions this but I feel if they actually showed doing that in the video it may prevent someone's possible dangerous mishap in the future. I wasn't sure if the soap mixture would damage the valve but it looks like it is pretty sealed up.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply