Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stefano31  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 3:01:44 PM(UTC)
Stefano31

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I was given this used GE top load washing machine, so unsure of the age but I would guess at least 10 years old. I'm the primary user, for about an average of 3 loads a week. This past week, it stopped at the spin cycle where the water will drain but it will not spin, and if I leave it on it will just go through one cycle after another without stopping. If I put it on DRAIN & SPIN, it will just make a noise until the cycle time is over while doing nothing, and then it will start on the next cycle and fill, agitate, then drain, but not spin, and repeat doing this non-stop.

Is this a simple repair I can do, or will the cost of the needed repair by a pro, be more than this washer is worth? Presumably if it's something like a bad timer, that would not be too difficult to handle myself.

Thanks!

PS: I haven't found anything online, indicating what specific problems these symptoms might be a sign of. I'm wondering if it is the timer, but the cost of it alone, is around 1/4-1/3 the cost of a brand new washer.

Last night I checked the belt, which was not broken or overly loose. Since it will add water to cylinder, and drain it, I'm thinking it not the water pump at issue.
I've prepped it so I can replace the magnetic lid sensor, and have one on order.

Edited by user Thursday, October 1, 2020 3:25:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added additional info.

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.