Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikemike  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 8:03:50 AM(UTC)
mikemike

Groups: Registered

1yr + 1 month old (go figure) Amana dryer on 30 amp fused circuit is blowing fuses. Ran fine for first 12.5 months. Using time delay Buss fuses.
Took heater out to examine & clean. No visible defects, no discoloration of the wire, and very clean. Ceramic insulators are all intact. Blower had light amount of lint in impeller & housing, rest of exhaust duct & vent very clean. Vent line is about 3ft straight out back.
Usually a heating element resistance will increase with temp, so I doubt overheating, plus no obstructions to air flow.
Have not taken an amp reading on the element, but 5.4kW~24.5amps so there's not much headroom on a 30 amp circuit.
Any ideas short of a new element ?
Do I have a bad thermostat?
Which one of the 4~5 sensors would be suspect?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:57:33 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is always a tough call because it means that there is a surge of electricity from something, and it is hard to diagnose because it is hard to find.

Since you have fuses instead of breakers it sounds like old wiring and I am wondering if the problem is there. I would start by replacing the power cord, and if that does not fix things see if you can replace outlet box and the wiring from the outlet back to the fuse box.

The problem may be there rather than your dryer. If it is in the dryer, something is grounding out somewhere, so you will need to check the internal wiring.
JeffB9  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2020 6:43:06 PM(UTC)
JeffB9

Groups: Registered
United States

I have replaced the power cord with one i had on another dryer that works fine, does not blow fuses when it is plugged in.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply