Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeff H  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 9:28:58 AM(UTC)
Jeff H

Groups: Registered
United States

GE profile Harmony washer WPGT9350C0PL stops working after doing the initial load sensing and tries to add water with in 5 seconds it shuts off giving an error "A problem has been detected with this unit". Diagnostic Mode error is "The motor is not rotating properly. Check and replace if necessary."

Reading other forums, I replaced the inexpensive Hall Sensor as the first step, and the problem persists. I have disassembled the rotor/stator, and visually those parts look OK with no stripped gear teeth/cogs, no cracked magnets. I have confirmed there are no obstructions preventing the basket from turning, I can turn it with my hands easily. I tilted the washer to watch the drive motor / clutch assembly operate at the beginning of the cycle, and it appears to be working (the coupling moves up into position and then back down as the drive/clutch motor turns). I do not hear a hum from the motor, and it does not appear to try to turn at all. Just the coupler moving up and then down, and then the error message.

Based on this, it seems like either the motor or the inverter is bad. How do I test these parts to know which part to replace? I've seen "make sure the motor is getting voltage," but how do I do that? How do I test the stator for continuity or shorts?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff H  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 12:44:15 PM(UTC)
Jeff H

United States

An update... took the cover off the inverter and tested a couple of things:
-resistance across all three motor windings measured from the connector is 8 ohms.
-tested the voltages at CON2 on the inverter board and got 5V on pins 1&2, 12V on pins 1&3, and 20V on pins 1&4.

I attempted to start a load with the lid open and a magnet on the lid switch so I could watch the infusor. During load sensing, the infusor wiggled back and forth, then I heard the clutch motor turn, and then the infusor wiggled back and forth again. But in both instances, neither the basket or the infusor rotated--only and back and forth shake--and then the error message that there was a problem with the unit.
Steve0001  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2021 2:29:39 PM(UTC)
Steve0001

United States

Originally Posted by: Jeff H Go to Quoted Post
An update... took the cover off the inverter and tested a couple of things:
-resistance across all three motor windings measured from the connector is 8 ohms.
-tested the voltages at CON2 on the inverter board and got 5V on pins 1&2, 12V on pins 1&3, and 20V on pins 1&4.

I attempted to start a load with the lid open and a magnet on the lid switch so I could watch the infusor. During load sensing, the infusor wiggled back and forth, then I heard the clutch motor turn, and then the infusor wiggled back and forth again. But in both instances, neither the basket or the infusor rotated--only and back and forth shake--and then the error message that there was a problem with the unit.

My problem exactly. Too bad no one cared to comment on your post. Everything I check seems to be OK - 8 ohms between each pair of (3) motor wires (checked at the inverter board, so I am pretty sure there is a good connection to and through the stator), hall sensor works, inverter board replaced. Control panel seems to be working OK. Basket rotates freely by hand. I was hoping someone here would have given you some idea (so I could re-think my problem and maybe find the solution).
#4 Posted : Friday, February 25, 2022 10:03:12 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have the same problem. Replaced clutch motor and same results. Has anyone found a solution for this or suggestions on what else to look for.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply