Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tadthebass  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:51:55 AM(UTC)
tadthebass

Groups: Registered
United States

So I have a 1999 Kenmore(Frigidaire)front loader. First started not spinning out clothes. Then, after testing, I see that it always turns CCW when the schematics show it should go in both directions at different points in the cycle. I replaced the speed control board as that appeared to be bad. No change. After further testing, the motor winding's all test out good as does the tachometer & the thermal protector. Since the schematics indicate that the timer controls rotation direction, I bit the bullet and got a new one. No change. I don't even know where to start looking now. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tadthebass  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:19:47 PM(UTC)
tadthebass

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey all! Just an FYI as I fixed my problem! See below. Sorry for the lengthy post.Link to original post on another forum is at bottom.

I got it fixed!!! At least temporarily. I disassembled the motor to see what might be wrong. I'm not sure how familiar you are with sensors, but the Tach sensor is nothing but a ring magnet on the shaft, inside a stationary coil of wire. So when the unit spins, it generates electricity. I assume the speed control is just based on what kind of voltage the tach line sends back. Well the ring magnet was split in two pcs. They came off the center hub they were bonded to and just stuck to the steel frame holding the coil. Since the magnet now didn't spin, there was no signal back to the control board. So it just maxed out every time the motor fired up. Must be a limiter in the control board that automatically shuts the motor down above a certain amperage as it would run for about 2-3 seconds and shut off. I cleaned everything up and rebonded the ring magnet back together and to the central hub using super glue on the ends of the magnet pcs and an acrylic bonder on the central hub. Before reassembly, I cleaned all electrical contacts with emery cloth and put some anti-corrosion paste on all connections. When I put the unit back together, I tried running it dry at the beginning of regular wash and it ran fine, so I tested it in final spin mode and it ran fine there as well. I'm not sure how long the repair will hold, but at least I know what happened & can order a motor if I have to. Just an FYI- the ring magnet can only be replaced with a new one by using a puller to remove the end bearing, so I'm not sure it's worth trying to rebuild the motor. Not even sure if rebuild parts are available for a unit this old.

https://www.applianceblo...ssues.76696/#post-388344
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply