Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmsamson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:03:09 AM(UTC)
bmsamson

Groups: Registered
United States

Our particular model DW is KDTE254E22, but I'm sure this is a question with more general applicability given how common these machines are despite the various nameplates under which they're sold.

We have an issue in our apartment building with lots of sediment in our hot water. Can't do much about it since we're only one of 100 units, so we have to work around. Unfortunately, the result is that our dishwasher winds up getting obstruction in the screen at the intake valve, which reduces the volume of water coming in and of course then the dishes don't get clean.

Now on our clothes washer, my solution to this was simply to pull the screen from the intake valve. That solved the issue with no apparent adverse effects. I was thinking I need to do the same to our dishwasher as well (it's not exactly convenient to have to pull the kick plate, undo the hose connection and clean the screen out ever few uses to restore the flow, which is my alternative). Before I do so, however, I am trying to figure out the downside of this 'fix'. Is there another screen someplace in the path of the water that would get similarly clogged, but be far less accessible? What might be other unintended consequences of removing that screen? Yes, I can imagine if something large were to now be allowed to pass is might damage an impeller/pump, but this is a fine sandy texture at most, and I'm not really worried about that.

Anyone who knows the guts of these things well enough to have any input, it'd be appreciated.

PS -- I did think of an in-line filter upstream of the intake, but don't really want to pay more for one than I paid for the entire dishwasher, and for some reason the filters specified for hot water/dishwashers seem to be a lot more expensive than the ones for drinking/cold water.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.