Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeromio  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:51:31 PM(UTC)
jeromio

Groups: Registered
United States

Dryer kept tripping breaker and bc it was late, my blanket was in there and I was tired, I just kept resetting the breaker. Eventually it wouldn't reset anymore. Turns out there's a short across ground and one of the 110 legs (right side of dryer, black).

That half of the circuit on the breaker is completely fried (oops). I took the dryer apart assuming the coil had shorted. Traced that thru all the sensors/thermistors and landed on the black wire going into the timer. When that is disconnected, the short disappears. Connected, it offers about 1000ohm resistance.

So, before I spend $100 on a new timer, does this scenario make sense? It's a ~10yr old appliance, everything looks fine. Would a timer fail in this way? I'm mostly familiar with failed timers sticking on or off, not shorting hot to ground....?

If it matters, I tested all the thermistors and they're 0ohm at room temp.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.