Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G.1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 3:30:42 PM(UTC)
G.1

Groups: Registered

Greetings Awesome Folks!
Kenmore series 80 washer does not spin, unless I turn it off, then on again (when it has reached the spin part of the cycle, obviously).

When it's running, the agitatior works well, pump is fine, agitator speed is correct, etc.

When it's time to rinse or spin, it just doesn't rotate unless I stop the machine (push in the knob), then restart it (pull it out again).

I have replaced the clutch, motor-trans coupler, and just finished replacing the neutral drain parts and the seal (bottom/side) in the trans. And new oil.

None of these parts were worn or broken, by appearance. I little bit of the gear oil had leaked out, but other than that, it all still looked good.

The drive block/spin tube mating surfaces look great (the notches are there, the tabs are snug and straight).

The basket can be turned by hand when empty. There is some drag, but it seems to be about as much drag as I would expect for a basket spinning a transmission connected to a motor. Much less that I would expect, to be honest. It is not "freewheeling".

I haven't noticed any bad noises while it is running. It can get a bit of a "bang" when the spin does turn on (after I pull the knob to turn the cycle back ON). That noise doesn't seem unwarranted.

I'd rather not replace the spin tube a$$embly.
Is it the brakes?
A lil' help?
Further debug ideas?
Thanks, Awesome Folks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 11:38:29 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you watch the washer agitate, it should go into neutral drain, where the water drains, no spin.

Then as the timer progresses all noise should briefly stop, then resume with the gearcase shifting into spin.

Is it pausing? If not its probably the timer. Model number?
G.1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:15:57 PM(UTC)
G.1

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
If you watch the washer agitate, it should go into neutral drain, where the water drains, no spin.

Then as the timer progresses all noise should briefly stop, then resume with the gearcase shifting into spin.

Is it pausing? If not its probably the timer. Model number?

Yes, it pauses. I'll verify, but I seem to recall it stopping noise for a bit, then the motor kicks back on to spin the basket, but no actual basket spinning happening. If I stop it, then restart it, the basket spins normally.

Model (in title) 110.23822100

Thanks!

Edited by user Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:17:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G.1  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:08:52 PM(UTC)
G.1

My follow-up report.
Some guy here (ThatGuy) suggested the timer unit.
That did the trick. Thanks!

I had been looking for the cheaper, more obvious solution (clutch, etc.).

After one of my several re-assemblies, I noticed a short burst of water when there should have been none. That convinced me that the timer was to blame, and also, I have replaced just about every other *&%^$&*% part that was possible to replace! :) (The water blast was a new development, BTW.)

I also had to buy the WP 280184 drum support, since mine was rusted out fairly badly. The basket drive itself was in good shape, surprisingly enough.

So, in conclusion, I have no idea what I am doing.
;)

Edited by user Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:09:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply