Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris3  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:25:20 PM(UTC)
chris3

Groups: Registered
United States

Information:
Kenmore Elite glass cook-top

Problem:
Cook-top was shutoff after cooking breakfast. The display read 'HE" on the bridge burners and the fan was running as it should. The cook-top was left alone for a couple of hours, when I noticed that the cook-top was still hot, the display still read "HE", and the fan was still running. I keep an IR thermometer by the cook-top and I measured the cast iron griddle that was on the bridge. The back burner had heated the griddle up to 780F. So the back burner was on and at a fairly high setting. I tried turning the cook-top and burner on and then back off which did not have an effect. I"m not sure but I think the back burner was cycling on and off. I know I saw it turn off and on but I was pressing a bunch of buttons and before that and I was not watching the burner while pressing the buttons. I did not actually see the burner until I pried the griddle off the burner which was partly welded to it at that point. Anyway, I then flipped the breaker an let it cool.

Later on, when I turned the cook-top breaker back on, it worked fine. From what I have read on this, it seems that the problem could be the switch or the control unit. However, trouble shooting an intermittent problem is always difficult and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about trouble shooting this or at least how to ensure it does not happen again. Also, is there any recalls of this unit. I have noticed other similar units are under recall for similar issues but I don't know where to check this one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.