Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mabradbury  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:08:25 PM(UTC)
mabradbury

Groups: Registered
United States

I wanted to share my repair experience with you self-fixers, since I've gotten such great help from forums like this in the past. I can't say thank you enough for all the great advice and help on the internet on a multitude of projects and repairs (though you may have to wade through a lot of unuseful stuff). I really had difficulty finding another person with the same problem this time, with similar symptoms in their washer.

I have a Bosch dishwasher model SHX46B05UC, that I bought in 2004. Mostly it has been completely reliable. I had an issue with a burning smell a couple years ago, which turned out to be a melted wire twist at the main electrical connection, junction box.

Yesterday, I opened the washer after it completed its cycle, removed the dishes, and filled with dirty dishes, then I noticed there was water in the pan. I set the washer to REGULAR wash, shut the door, and there was not the immediate draining I expected. I hit the cancel-drain button combo, shut the door, and the washer started to drain then stopped. I checked all the drain pump issues (lots of videos and forum entries on this), but could not find a problem that would cause the pump impeller not to turn.

After I let the washer sit OFF for about 30 minutes (while I sludged through lots of advice), I turned it back on, set it to wash, and shut the door. This time it tried to drain and fill, but the pump and fill water cycled oddly, on-off-on-off, but finally draining and filling correctly. Then it stopped. Nothing. Unfortunately I was so focused on the drain pump, and hose clogs, I didn't see the obvious. I thought there must be a clog in the hose keeping the pump from draining correctly, which caused the washer to stop.

I pulled the washer out, tested the water inlet and drain pump by manually pushing the red switch rod up, and the pump worked correctly, no blockages in the drain lines (lots of videos on this). Because the washer could start a cycle, but never got into water spraying, I thought the recycling pump might have gone out. But while researching tests for the recycling pump, one guy's statement hit home: "Pumps and solenoids rarely go out; if your washer isn't completing the cycle, it's the control board."

That was it, it wasn't completing its cycle. Actually, it was having a problem starting the cycle. Unplugged the washer again, took the door apart (lots of videos), took the control board out just to look at it and make sure I was ordering the correct replacement, then stumbled on a video about broken connections at relays on the board. It wasn't difficult to take the board out of it's case, and sure enough, one solder joint was burned. In fact, the plastic case was charred where the relay connection burned. The advice of the UTuber was to replace the relay, though others in forums said just to re-solder the connection. I did re-solder the connection, put the door back together - presto, washer came on, works fine. I'll order a new relay for $4 and have it ready to change out if the washer stops again.

I hope this is helpful to others. Not all draining problems are the pump or hoses. Could be that your washer's control board isn't sending the right signals to the pumps, etc, and it could be an easy fix, if you are a DIYer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.