Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lauren311  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:40:25 AM(UTC)
Lauren311

Groups: Registered

Ok, he works nights at the 24 hour Freightliner dealership here so he's at work tonight. When he gets home in the morning (between 8 & 10am) I will read him your recent post & let you know ASAP. Sorry to ask so many questions, I can't thank you enough for your help!
denman  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:35:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Do not worry about asking questions.

I get a kick out of helping people and it is better to ask then just continue blindly.

At one time we all had to ask questions so this is sort of like a pay back.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Lauren311  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 7:47:47 AM(UTC)
Lauren311

He was originally measuring from the point the cord connects to the back of the machine itself. Apparently the prongs on the multimeter are not long enough to get a reading in the wall receptacle. So we took the cover off the outlet & it appears the black wire is loose & or disconnected from the receptacle. He thinks he can reconnect it but would of course want to cut all the power to the house first. We rent but our landlord is not so pleasant so we avoid contacting him unless we have to. What is the ground to complete the circut when you put the black & the red together to test for 240? He checked all the wires to the plug, and they read zero.
denman  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 8:52:56 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]What is the ground to complete the circut when you put the black & the red together to test for 240?[/COLOR]
If I understand the question then there is no ground as far as current flowing in the circuit. Current flows between the black (L1) and the red (L2).
Neutral (ground) is only for 120 volts circuits.
Lauren311  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 8:58:12 AM(UTC)
Lauren311

Ok, he was just curious he said. I guess we'll cut the power when he wakes up (he just got in from a 14 hour shift) & try to connect the black wire. I'll let you know if we have any luck after that. Thanks again.
Lauren311  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:47:31 PM(UTC)
Lauren311

My husband decided he didn't want to make anything worse by messing with the wire, we also suspected that was just part of the problem as one of the breakers was hard to flip. We contacted the landlord & had to wait for him to send an electrician. Someone finally came out today. The black wire was disconnected so he fixed that & also said the breaker was bad as well. The dryer starts & HEATS....so glad we didn't go buy another one because we really didn't have the extra cash so close to Christmas. Thank you SO much for all your help Denman, I felt like we could do some trouble shooting on our own because we had someone to advise us! Merry Christmas to you & yours.
denman  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:11:54 PM(UTC)
denman

Glad to hear that you are up and running.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.

Have a happy holiday season.
pertewfam  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:24:54 AM(UTC)
pertewfam

United States

***CHECK OUTLET TERMINALS - THEY MAY BE LOOSE*** After taking apart the dryer and testing all the parts, it turned out to be one loose terminal in the outlet, so the dryer was only getting 120V so it would turn on and spin, but no heat. ***I SHUT OFF AND REMOVED THE DRYER BREAKERS FIRST*** 220V WILL KILL YOU SO BE CAREFUL TO SHUT OFF ALL POWER*** I bent the terminal closer with needle nose pliers and now it's heating fine. I also replaced all of the breakers before checking the outlet, hindsight is 20/20!

This is the cheapest thing to try before replacing breakers, wires, outlets, and dryer parts for a "no heat" issue with dryer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply