Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnBush  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:26:51 PM(UTC)
JohnBush

Groups: Registered
United States

Washing Machine is Whirlpool WTW4850XQ0.

While cleaning underneath, I found an oil spot on the floor.

Tilting and reaching up underneath (yes I disconnected electricity first), the belt shield was oily directly under where the splutch wheel is. The oil was clear colored, sticky like silicone. It didn't seem watery. I checked the codes, all F0E0 (ie, no codes).

Washer is 7 years old and installed on a screened porch in Arizona (up to 115 degrees).

Does this sound like the gearbox seal is shot? Or could the leak be coming from tub or motor bearings? So far, the belt hasn't been slipping, and spin is fast enough (according to the absence of codes).

I placed a pan underneath to catch any new drips, assuming that whatever it is hasn't all leaked out yet.

Any other ideas? If it's the gearbox, then how long can the washer run safely without repairing it? Would there be a fire hazard by not repairing it? (I assume they don't use a petroleum based oil due to sparks and friction that could start a fire.)

Edited by user Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:36:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.