Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
srgould41  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 6:53:49 AM(UTC)
srgould41

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile side by side. It has separate evap coils for the freezer and refrigerator side.

Fridge side got warm. Removed the back panel in the freezer and the lower 4" of the coils were iced up. If the heater were bad I would expect more ice. It may have been in the middle of the deice cycle?

The refrigerator coils were a solid block of ice. I did not see a heater element for it. I noticed the drip pan under the coils had two holes corroded through so melt water was dripping inside the fridge compartment and keeping humidity high. I fixed the holes with aluminum tape.

Does anyone know how the fridge coils are defrosted? Could a failing freezer defroster affect the fridge side too? I would not think so.

Another poster said they replaced the temp sensor on the fridge coils to solve their problem, but there was no long term followup to post the results. I saw the wiring snaking down behind the coils, but didn't find the sensor. I am not sure how that would affect the ice condition since there is no heater element there.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

srgould41  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 1:35:33 PM(UTC)
srgould41

Thank you for your replies. I did suspect the ff thermister may be the cause. I was dreading that as a reply because getting to it will be a royal PITA. I guess I will get one on order and post up the results.
srgould41  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 8:27:44 PM(UTC)
srgould41

Yes I did. Today the coils were frozen solid again. I pulled it apart and de-iced then replaced the thermister. The wiring was behind the coil mounting bracket so I had to remove the block to get to the old thermister. I believe i got it back in place correctly. Now to wait and see.

Now that I have been in there once before this time the entire job took about 30 minutes. That includes removal of bins and shelves, de-icing, replacing the thermister, etc.

Originally Posted by: ohm Go to Quoted Post
Did you have time to work on this yet? I:) love updates!
srgould41  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:32:30 AM(UTC)
srgould41

I will keep an eye on it and post the results. Since it only lasted one week before icing up I should know more by next weekend.

Once again thank you for your help.
srgould41  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 8:09:33 AM(UTC)
srgould41

It has been nearly two weeks since I replaced the thermister behind the refrigerator coil. The coil is still ice free. I will check it frequently to be safe, but this seems to have fixed it.

Thanks again for your advice and help Ohm.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply