Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dmbailey0321  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:36:55 AM(UTC)
dmbailey0321

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washer; model #GSQ9669. It won't agitate, spin, or drain. I have found answers to similar problems, but mine seems to be a little different. If my question has already been answered, I apologize.

Initially, I thought the problem was the coupling. I had the same problem a few months ago and at the time I noticed that the spindle on the motor where the coupling is connected was somewhat damaged. This time, as I was replacing the coupling I noticed the spindle was too damaged. So I bought a used motor.

Although the motor has a different model number it looks the same (at least to my untrained eyes) and the "expert" at the shop where I bought the motor indicated that they were the same.

The new motor works fine when it is just connected to the electrical connection on the washer; although it does make a humming noise that is louder than the old motor. However, once I properly connect the motor to the washer, although it still makes the humming noise, it will not spin. It just hums for a few moments after starting in the agitate cycle or the spin cycle. Then it goes off (I assume it must have some type of auto shut-off to keep it from burning up).

I should mention that prior to removing the original motor, the washer did drain properly. It just did not agitate or spin; it just made a noise that sounded like the motor was spinning. Additionally, I can turn the side of the coupling which is connected to the transmission with my hand. Turning counterclockwise is free and easy. Turning clockwise goes a little ways and then stops until I turn it back counterclockwise a little.

Any ideas about what my problem might be?

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:54:56 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You should be able to turn the gearcase/transmission by hand. If its locked up inside that would do it.

Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com
dmbailey0321  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:36:03 AM(UTC)
dmbailey0321

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
You should be able to turn the gearcase/transmission by hand. If its locked up inside that would do it.

Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com

Hi,

Thank you.

After submitting my post yesterday, I tried again and found that I can turn it by hand in both directions just fine.
dmbailey0321  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 11:15:00 AM(UTC)
dmbailey0321

I returned the used motor that I mentioned in my first post and got a different one. Now, I got the machine to run, but it will not complete a full cycle and I am trying to figure out if it is the motor or the timer, or something else.

First of all, soon into the agitation step I could smell the motor getting hot and eventually it got too hot to touch. I am not sure if this is normal because I have never ran the machine without the cover and tried to touch the motor. Anyway, it completed the agitation step, spun, and then just sat there.

I would assume that if it was because the motor was too hot to run that the timer would still proceed forward, but it just sat there too. Finally, I manually moved the timer forward to the rinse step. It ran the water in and then just sat there (both the timer and the machine). Finally, I decided to manually move the timer to the spin step, but got nothing (no timer or motor movement).

Then I let the machine just sit for about a 45 minutes, moved the timer to spin and it spun and the timer gradually moved to "off" (it seemed way to slow, but I have never stood and watched) and the machine stopped spinning.

Then I started it over again. It filled with water. But then, nothing -- no agitation and no timer movement. I manually tried moving the timer again and still nothing. Then I let it sit for a while again, put it on spin and it spun. the timer did move, but again way too slow. I finally stopped it, I am not sure if it would have ever reached "off" this time, as slow as it was proceeding.

Does it sound like the timer? Or do I need to try a different motor? Or does it sound like something else?

Thank you.
dmbailey0321  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:01:34 PM(UTC)
dmbailey0321

I returned the used motor that I mentioned in my first post and got a different one. Now, I got the machine to run, but it will not complete a full cycle and I am trying to figure out if it is the motor or the timer, or something else.

First of all, soon into the agitation step I could smell the motor getting hot and eventually it got too hot to touch. I am not sure if this is normal because I have never ran the machine without the cover and tried to touch the motor. Anyway, it completed the agitation step, spun, and then just sat there.

I would assume that if it was because the motor was too hot to run that the timer would still proceed forward, but it just sat there too. Finally, I manually moved the timer forward to the rinse step. It ran the water in and then just sat there (both the timer and the machine). Finally, I decided to manually move the timer to the spin step, but got nothing (no timer or motor movement).

Then I let the machine just sit for about a 45 minutes, moved the timer to spin and it spun and the timer gradually moved to "off" (it seemed way to slow, but I have never stood and watched) and the machine stopped spinning.

Then I started it over again. It filled with water. But then, nothing -- no agitation and no timer movement. I manually tried moving the timer again and still nothing. Then I let it sit for a while again, put it on spin and it spun. the timer did move, but again way too slow. I finally stopped it, I am not sure if it would have ever reached "off" this time, as slow as it was proceeding.

Does it sound like the timer? Or do I need to try a different motor? Or does it sound like something else?

Thank you.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply