Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jorabi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:25:55 PM(UTC)
Jorabi

Groups: Registered

I ordered and received a defrost thermostat and wanted to test it before putting it in. The circuit is open (infinite res) out of the box at room temp. I froze it with spray just to see if it was backwards, and it stayed open. I put it under a heat lamp and at 84F it stayed open.

Then I returned it because I thought it was bad. I received a new one and it tests the same way. I was assuming that the thermostat should be open until it gets too cold, then should be closed, to turn the heater on. Am I mistaken?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 4:14:00 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It depends on the temp. range the defrost thermostat/cutoff is made for.

Most complete the circuit or close at a temp. around 10 degrees F or lower.

The best way to test one is put it in a deep freezer for 5 hours or so then check it for continuity. It would take a lot of freeze spay to chill one down.
Jorabi  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 5:59:47 PM(UTC)
Jorabi

I apologize for writing my original question backwards. It should have said:

I ordered and received a defrost thermostat and wanted to test it before putting it in. The circuit is closed (zero res) out of the box at room temp. I thoroughly froze it with spray until it was entirely covered with frost, and it stayed closed. I put it under a heat lamp and at 84F it stayed closed.

I returned it because I thought it was bad. I received a new one and it tests the same way. I was assuming that the thermostat should be open until it gets too cold, then should be closed, to turn the heater on. But these are always closed. How can I test if the open/close is working?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 11:00:11 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Your model number is incomplete , but all the ones similar to yours took part WR50X10006 .

It looks like it has L53-40F on the side. L is limit 53 degrees F is when it opens and shuts down the defrost element.

-40 is the temperature it closes at. That is 53 - 40 = 13 degrees Fahrenheit.

So it has to get to 13 degrees to complete the circuit for defrost .

This part.
GE WR50X10006 Thermostat Def - AppliancePartsPros.com
Jorabi  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 6:51:58 AM(UTC)
Jorabi

Snap, I bought the wrong part. I was going by the 37TV31 stamped on it but I guess more than one thermostat uses that. The one I got was WR50X10068 instead of 10006. It says L140-30F and it does open if I heat it to 140 and closes when it cools down.

Thanks, I will have to exchange it for the correct part.
Vanhalo  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 6:11:41 PM(UTC)
Vanhalo

United States

Originally Posted by: Jorabi Go to Quoted Post
I apologize for writing my original question backwards. It should have said:

I ordered and received a defrost thermostat and wanted to test it before putting it in. The circuit is closed (zero res) out of the box at room temp. I thoroughly froze it with spray until it was entirely covered with frost, and it stayed closed. I put it under a heat lamp and at 84F it stayed closed.

I returned it because I thought it was bad. I received a new one and it tests the same way. I was assuming that the thermostat should be open until it gets too cold, then should be closed, to turn the heater on. But these are always closed. How can I test if the open/close is working?

Been trying to find somone else asking the same question for an hour tonight.

I have a replacement Samsung Thermo Bimetal Da47-00243K and my continuity test at room temps is closed(beeps).

So does the suspect Thermo I am replacing.
stickyfinger  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:40:02 PM(UTC)
stickyfinger

United States

i also just bought the DA47-00243K bimetal thermostat for my samsung. i got it in the mail today and it is closed when it is at room temp. they are sending a replacement, but maybe it will also be closed at room temp. it must be a serious lemon?!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply