Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlfredD  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:23:12 AM(UTC)
AlfredD

Groups: Registered

I have a leaking dishwasher from the bottom. It is not the door. The best I can tell it is leaking from the sump. I watched the videos and took it all apart and put silicone grease around the sump seal.This is where i think it is leaking. It did not help.You can't just buy the seal, you have to buy the whole housing which is around a $100.00.My question is could I use some silicone caulk on the seal and see if that fixes it. :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

LeRayParateur  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:23:06 PM(UTC)
LeRayParateur

I don't think the seal around the sump is the main cause of the leak as it's pressed in there during assembly and no moving part rub against it during use.

For this model, I'm much more suspcious of the circulation motor :

Whirlpool WPW10757217 Circulation Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

As the shaft between the motor and impeller rotates within a seal, it's very possible this seal started leaking after years of use.

If the dishwasher got louder during wash cycle, it's likely because this seal failed and allowed water to leak inside the motor already.

You can try cleaning and drying both the bottom of the dishwasher and the floor under it, then start a cycle and check where water starts to drip.

Also, it seems cheaper to replace the whole sump assembled with motor than just ordering the motor.

This part includes both the plastic sump, motor and seal around the sump so you're basically replacing everything that might leak.

Whirlpool W10782773 PUMP&MOTOR - AppliancePartsPros.com

For reassembly, make sure to clean the border of the stainless steel hole in the bottom of dishwasher and lube the new seal with vegetable oil to make it easier to install.

The sump is inserted by pressing it from the inside of the cabinet to the outside, and attached from the bottom of the dishwasher.

Also, if you need to order parts, make sure to check compatibility with your full model number.
AlfredD  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:33:33 PM(UTC)
AlfredD

I took the dishwasher out and laid it down on its back and totally disassembled the sump, removed the motor. Cleaned the screen. Water is leaking from the left hand side of the sump. I agree the sump has no reason to leak.Motor makes no noise and washer works fine. It just started leaking. Thx for your input. And I think you are right,it would be cheaper to replace everything instead of part of it.
AlfredD  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:44:54 PM(UTC)
AlfredD

Well lesson learned. I purchased the Whirlpool W10782773 PUMP&MOTOR - AppliancePartsPros.com to hopefully repair my leak. After receiving my part, I removed my part and installed the new part per the very helpful video. All back together, turned the dishwasher on, still leaks. Looked under washer and marked the leak on the underside with a Sharpie. Should have done this first!! Pulled the washer all back out, turned it on its back and locating my mark, I found a small hairline crack in the tub. Looked inside of dishwasher and the spot is under the heating element where I did not notice it. Used some 3M underwater adhesive caulk to cover the spot. Fingers crossed I hope this fixes it. If not looks like I will have to buy a new dish washer.
LeRayParateur  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:18:51 PM(UTC)
LeRayParateur

I'm not sure if your dishwasher tub is plastic or stainless steel (although you have to be very unlucky to have a crack in a stainless steel tub)

It might be difficult to find a caulk that will last due to the hot and alkaline environment.

A 2-part epoxy such as JB Weld or Permatex might also do the job. On a plastic tub, you might want to make sure the surface is clean and dry, then roughen it up a little with coarse sandpaper before adding the epoxy.

Of course a cabinet replacement is a very expensive job considering materials and labour costs which, unless under warranty, will likely never make sense.
AlfredD  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 6:25:03 AM(UTC)
AlfredD

Its plastic. The 3m marine caulk is excellent on boats but I was wondering too about it being right under the heating element. Will try the J B Weld if this does not stay. thx
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply