Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
autotech1  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 9:47:40 AM(UTC)
autotech1

Groups: Registered

Our GE dishwasher, model GSD5620D00BB will not drain after the final rinse cycle ends. Although I've read numerous threads with this complaint both here and other places stating the probable cause is the check valve, none of those concerns stated that their dishwasher drains when the start/reset button is pressed quickly twice. Our dishwasher WILL drain when the start/reset button is quickly pressed twice. It does so even when it's pressed with a minimum time delay after the drying cycle starts, then checking and finding water in the tub. So unless the check valve becomes unblocked in those few seconds, I find it difficult to condemn it. I'm applying my 35 years experience as an automotive technician, and maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it being the check valve because of the fact that it does drain manually within seconds after not draining automatically. I don't mind replacing what needs to be replaced, but since I'm limited in my mobility, pulling the dishwasher out to check and see if the check valve is partially clogged is not something I look forward to doing if it turns out not to be the problem. Please either tell me I'm wrong and that it's definitely the check valve, or guide me in the right direction. I hope I'm not coming across as being rude or anything, it's not my intention, but crawling under the sink with all the plumbing and the disposal in the way to change the outlet for it is still wreaking havoc on my neck and back. Thanks all
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Last  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:26:41 AM(UTC)
Last

You can inspect the check valve from inside the dishwasher without uninstalling it.
Just remove the lower rack and then removed the four 1/4" screws from the long filter located at the lower back. Once this filter is removed just unscrew the check valve and make sure it is in good shape. Over time the rubber part of the check valve kind of falls apart and for $10.00 I would replace it anyways while I had it apart.

Hope this helps

P.S. Make sure there is no water in the tub before you remove the check valve.
autotech1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 1:25:25 AM(UTC)
autotech1

Thanks for the information, sorry it took so long to thank you. It's my first post and I was thinking I would get an email stating there was a reply. I will take a look at that and see what I find. What confuses me though is that it drains OK until the last drain, and when I manually make it drain it will drain. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thanks again.
autotech1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:49:10 AM(UTC)
autotech1

I finally got around to pulling out the check valve to inspect it and I found the seal had a crack in it but was otherwise OK. I looked up the part on this website by typing in "check valve", and the part it shows is not the same part as what I removed. When I looked into it further, the part I removed is the piston and nut assembly, not the check valve. Since the piston and nut assembly looks as if the damage to the seal would allow water to flow THROUGH it as opposed to restricting it, my question is which part will prevent the dishwasher from draining completely and how do I check it?
I read on another thread that the check valve can only be accessed from under the dishwasher, so if I can pull out the dishwasher soon to make it easier for me to check it, (it's not easy for me to get down on the floor and then remove the check valve to inspect it, so it may be a while before I do it), I will update my findings here. Otherwise any help for my question above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply