Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
breckrider  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 4:59:32 PM(UTC)
breckrider

Groups: Registered

The basket stopped spinning so I replaced the motor couplings and later the transmission. After replacing the transmission and putting everything back together, I ran the washer on a spin cycle and noticed that it spun out of balance. I have since replaced all the balance springs but not the counterbalance spring. All of the springs appeared to be in good shape though. None of them had come loose or were broken.

It still spins out of balance. Not horribly but it's noticeable.

I talked with a tech on a repair site and they suggested I take the transmission back out and put it back in because it could have been installed incorrectly but I can't imagine how that could happen.

Any other suggestions? If I need to, I can make a video of the spin and upload it I think.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 4:20:06 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Yeah, it's pretty hard to put the gearcase in wrong. You could have a damaged tub/basket. You could have damaged or missing suspension pads or tub suspension pads. Or a misaligned skate plate.

Whirlpool 285744 Tub Suspension Pads - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool 285219 Suspension Pad Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool WP3946509 Skate Plate - AppliancePartsPros.com

Posting a video of the problem would be helpful.
breckrider  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 5:21:21 AM(UTC)
breckrider

I'll get video today. I'm gonna have to take this thing apart again to check all of that aren't I?

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, it's pretty hard to put the gearcase in wrong. You could have a damaged tub/basket. You could have damaged or missing suspension pads or tub suspension pads. Or a misaligned skate plate.

Whirlpool 285744 Tub Suspension Pads - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool 285219 Suspension Pad Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool WP3946509 Skate Plate - AppliancePartsPros.com

Posting a video of the problem would be helpful.
breckrider  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 5:39:06 AM(UTC)
breckrider

Disregard. I found that answer.
breckrider  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 10:29:21 AM(UTC)
breckrider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsz88bjdXMs

This video shows about how much my tub is out of balance. It's not walking across the room or anything. The machine in this video isn't my model.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:14:42 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

The machine in the video is a Maytag and it has a spinning transmission. It's a completely different design.

What was the solution?
breckrider  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:24:26 AM(UTC)
breckrider

I haven't fixed it yet. I know the machine was a different machine than mine. I was only using it to show about how much my machine was wobbling on the spin cycle.
breckrider  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:16:25 AM(UTC)
breckrider

I've now replaced the suspension pads and suspension pad kit and it still does this. Is this normal? Here's a video I made. If it's not normal, I don't know what else to change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYrFYDYHqwc
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:46:21 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

That looks pretty normal to me. Can you feel the vibrations in the floor or is it shaking the machine?

The top of the basket is a balance ring and it is half full of fluid. It helps balance the loads, but when they are empty it makes the whole tub and basket go through this kind of vibration pulse that is constantly repeated as long as it spins. Its not enough to be able to notice unless you have the lid open and can see it. I've never timed this pulse, but everyone of these washers has it.

Its very important to level the washer and then lock the front legs. Then I usually tip the washer forward so the rear self leveling legs drop down and set it back. If they are on a good solid floor they run smooth.
breckrider  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:17:16 PM(UTC)
breckrider

The machine is level. I've checked that. I really only feel the vibration in the machine. I've run a couple of loads and it feels ok to me.
Is there a way to refill the balance ring or does it have to be replaced?

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
That looks pretty normal to me. Can you feel the vibrations in the floor or is it shaking the machine?

The top of the basket is a balance ring and it is half full of fluid. It helps balance the loads, but when they are empty it makes the whole tub and basket go through this kind of vibration pulse that is constantly repeated as long as it spins. Its not enough to be able to notice unless you have the lid open and can see it. I've never timed this pulse, but everyone of these washers has it.

Its very important to level the washer and then lock the front legs. Then I usually tip the washer forward so the rear self leveling legs drop down and set it back. If they are on a good solid floor they run smooth.