Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
icu812  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 4:22:06 PM(UTC)
icu812

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I am hoping that you can provide some guidance in understanding this problem: When dispensing crushed ice from a GE TFS28PPBABS the auger will periodically reverse as if it is attempting to clear a jam. When the auger reverses a full (aka not crushed) cube or two will usually be dispensed. After a few moments it will reverse direction again and return to producing crushed ice. This process may repeat immediately or at any time.

There is no problem dispensing cubed ice.

So far, I have replaced the ice bucket assembly (as a single unit including the auger, blades, etc.) and repaired the ice door assembly. The problem still occurs.

Sometimes, there is a very small drip – not more than two to three drops per fill – evident on the lower right-front of the icemaker. This has led me to suspect that large chunks of ice may be causing the issue. However I may have eliminated this drip as the cause by:

1. Manually emptying the ice bin into a cooler
2. Rinse the ice bin, auger and cutter blades in warm water
3. Manually returned the ice to the bin after inspecting each cube and discarding any clumps or malformed pieces of ice

Immediately after re-inserting the bin into the freezer I selected crushed ice. The failure (as described above) occurred three times in less than 60 seconds.

I have run the auger motor independently with the ice bucket removed and the motor performed as expected with no reversals.

I am at a loss of what to try next. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 5:44:02 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I doubt very much that the motor is reversing. I think the problem is a solenoid that activates the crusher part of the ice bin. You've got a broken wire or a bad connection or a solenoid that is going bad.

If you look at this diagram the solenoid is part 378, the fingers in the bin head are 328 and the rod that activates is 329

Parts for GE TFS28PPBABS: Freezer Section Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

All the crushing is done inside part 325.
icu812  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:36:37 PM(UTC)
icu812

ThatGuy;

I thought it was kind of odd also. While trying to understand what is happening I clipped a web cam to the side of the ice bucket so that I could actually see what was going on when the problem occurs. Using this I was able to record a video of the auger running correctly – then reversing for a few seconds – then reversing again.

In the instance that I recorded on the video, the ice dispenser ran correctly for about 18 seconds, then reversed for about 4 seconds, ran correctly for about 7-8 seconds, then reversed again for another 4 seconds. The 4-second duration of the reversal appears to be constant while the length of time between reversals is variable.

I tried to upload the video here, but according to the information regarding attachments, a 9MB video is too large. If there is some other was to upload the video, I’d be happy to try again so that you can see the video for yourself.

As far as the solenoid, I believe that it is working correctly. At least when dispensing cubed ice, I can verify that the solenoid is engaged and the Ice Dispenser Deflector is moved out of the way so that whole cubes can be dispensed.

However, when the auger reverses I do not hear the solenoid being engaged nor hear it being disengaged when the auger returns to the normal direction.

To me it seems as if the problem is being caused by the crusher binding. This is what led me to replace the ice bucket assembly in the first place. But since the problem continues to occur I’m stumped.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:17:39 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

If you have a YouTube or Photo bucket account you can upload your video there and paste a link in your post. That's what I do.
icu812  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:32:34 PM(UTC)
icu812

The video won't win any awards for cinematography, but you should be able to get it from here: www.nasrp.com/icemaker.mp4.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:43:06 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

Well, that's just weird.

you might be right, maybe it reverses to clear jams. The question is.... is it a mechanical reverse, or is the motor somehow being reversed electronically.

Every auger motor I've ever seen just runs on 120 volts AC. So reversing one of them would have to be done mechanically inside the gearbox of the auger.

If the motor ran on DC, it could be reversed by swapping the power leads.

I'm going to guess it's the auger motor.
unie01  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:24:25 PM(UTC)
unie01

UserPostedImageinteresting thread, I too was having the same problem
icu812  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:08:01 PM(UTC)
icu812

Unie01, you said "was". Does that mean that you have resolved the problem?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply