Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
attagirl7878  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:26:11 PM(UTC)
attagirl7878

Groups: Registered

HI,
I am getting an inspection result that this is a dangerous venting and is not correct. States "The dryer's vent is an improper material. This is a fire hazard."
Can anyone tell me why this is improper and what a correct fix would be.
Thanks!
Kate
attagirl7878 attached the following image(s):
vent.jpg
IMG_20180207_120200.jpg
IMG_20180207_120155.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:53:21 PM(UTC)
thorning

Looks like you have a vent pipe that is hooked up to the dryer with a flexible section of a plastic type material. A metal flex tube is required. Also Of importance is the fact that the vent tube has several elbows that will cause a restriction very quickly. These need to be eliminated if at all possible or at least reduced in quantity. If you have an installation manual for the dryer it should provide the maximum number of elbows allowed and the maximum length of the tube.
attagirl7878  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:00:58 PM(UTC)
attagirl7878

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
Looks like you have a vent pipe that is hooked up to the dryer with a flexible section of a plastic type material. A metal flex tube is required. Also Of importance is the fact that the vent tube has several elbows that will cause a restriction very quickly. These need to be eliminated if at all possible or at least reduced in quantity. If you have an installation manual for the dryer it should provide the maximum number of elbows allowed and the maximum length of the tube.

Thanks so much!
The elbows, I totally understand.
Can you tell me where you see Plastic type material? I did read about plastic material not being good, but I don't see any. I see Flexible metal type, straight vents, tape and clamps.
Sorry, I'm not sure of the exact names, I'm not even close to a professional. Trying to figure out what to ask for of a repair person.
Thanks!
thorning  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 6:30:54 AM(UTC)
thorning

The material that comes thru the wall is possibly a plastic type. If in doubt and you dont know use a magnet to check it.
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 1:51:51 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
The material that comes thru the wall is possibly a plastic type. If in doubt and you dont know use a magnet to check it.

That's a worthless test.

If its aluminum the magnet won't stick either.

The problem with the old vent is too many 90 degree elbows. Each 90 degree elbow is equal to 5 feet of straight 4 inch vent.

So in the vent coming out of the wall there are 3 - 90 degrees and a 45 degree. That's the equivalent of nearly 20 feet of vent and you haven't even gone anywhere.

It could be replaced by 1 - 90 and a 45 degree elbow. That would help a lot with air flow.

I'd stick with solid 4 inch vent where possible and use 4 inch flexible aluminum where nothing else will work. Aluminum foil tape works well at sealing the vent.

Use 45 degree elbows whenever you can.
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 9:46:00 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
To answer the question ref "improper material"
The flex hose you have going through the wall, whether its aluminized paper or vinyl (plastic) ducting is not to code. You must use either a rigid or semi rigid ducting through the wall and it should be sealed on both sides. No gaps between the opening and ducting. You should also shorten the rigid ducting to meet the wall transition evenly.
Also as the others have stated reference the total ducting run (inclusive of elbows factor) QUOTE:
"The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet (7,620 mm) from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination."
Otherwise you will need to install a vent booster.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply