Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmhny  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:32:09 PM(UTC)
mmhny

Groups: Registered

Our GE side by side fridge model # TFX30PPBAWW, is having a temp control problem. The freezer side adjusts perfectly, but the fridge side stays the same temp (too cold, freezes food) no matter what the thermostat is set to. When the thermostat control is slide from cooler to warmer nothing happens, unlike the freezer side which when slide makes a clicking (off on ) noise. Called GE and they told me it was the thermostat control part # WR9X521...this looks similar but different than the thermostat control in the fridge that is labeled Robert Shaw Control co RD18-2003RAV.119849 162D6620-Poo4. If the part GE told me to order is a replacement, then how is the repair done. Does the metal cover come off and the part is underneath it? Or is there an entirely different solution? Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:01:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric TFX30PPBAWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]The freezer side adjusts perfectly, but the fridge side stays the same temp (too cold, freezes food) no matter what the thermostat is set to. When the thermostat control is slide from cooler to warmer nothing happens,[/COLOR]
When you say perfectly, how do you know? Have you measured the freezer temperature?
Note ice cream is often a good indicator of the correct freezer temperature or close to 0 degrees F.

[COLOR="Blue"]unlike the freezer side which when slide makes a clicking (off on ) noise. Called GE and they told me it was the thermostat control part # WR9X521...this looks similar but different than the thermostat control in the fridge that is labeled Robert Shaw Control co RD18-2003RAV.119849 162D6620-Poo4.[/COLOR]
Not sure about the above but if your freezer temperature is being controlled properly the main thermostat is probably not the problem.

[COLOR="Blue"] If the part GE told me to order is a replacement, then how is the repair done. Does the metal cover come off and the part is underneath it? Or is there an entirely different solution?[/COLOR]
Check out the following Item 426 in Section 5 Damper, Control. This regulates the amount of cold air entering the fresh food section.
Check to ensure it is opening and closing. Click on the picture for better views.
Part number: AP3156217
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mmhny  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:59:02 PM(UTC)
mmhny

Thank you for your answer. My Husband did go in and check the damper. It appears that the mechanism works fine except that when the control lever is slide the damper does not adjust as much as it should. From what we can see it is because of the white pin that doesn't seem to allow the door to move to it full capability. Question, there is an adjustment screw that tightens the spring inside the mechanisim that might give the damper door more movement...should we adjust that or do you think the part just needs to be replaced? Thanks so much for your help...we almos replace the thermostat control for no reason.

Originally Posted by: mmhny Go to Quoted Post
Our GE side by side fridge model # TFX30PPBAWW, is having a temp control problem. The freezer side adjusts perfectly, but the fridge side stays the same temp (too cold, freezes food) no matter what the thermostat is set to. When the thermostat control is slide from cooler to warmer nothing happens, unlike the freezer side which when slide makes a clicking (off on ) noise. Called GE and they told me it was the thermostat control part # WR9X521...this looks similar but different than the thermostat control in the fridge that is labeled Robert Shaw Control co RD18-2003RAV.119849 162D6620-Poo4. If the part GE told me to order is a replacement, then how is the repair done. Does the metal cover come off and the part is underneath it? Or is there an entirely different solution? Thanks
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 2:20:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Have you checked the freezer temperature?

If OK then I would try the screw after all you have nothing to loose.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
damien2103  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:08:33 AM(UTC)
damien2103

Hi everyone,
I'm French so please excuse my english!

Same issue here, my fridge is freezing (-12°C) while freezer is working perfectly at -20°C.

The plate and spring are missing on my damper and I don't know how to fix it as accessories are no longer available for my 20 years old GE fridge (ref TPG21PRBBBB)

The damper WR09X10002 is suitable with fridge ref TPG2[COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR]PRBBBB and looks so similar to mine that I wonder if it may fit to mine

Thank you for your support !
damien2103 attached the following image(s):
TPG21PRBBBB.jpg
162D6620-P002.jpg