Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kenroehr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 6:10:10 AM(UTC)
kenroehr

Groups: Registered

My fridge/freezer stopped being cold the other day, and all ice melted and pooled out. I read up on what to look for and opened up those parts of the fridge to try and narrow down what part to replace;

- Compressor= Vibrating but quiet. Might just be drowned out by Cond fan
- Condensor Fan= running fine
- Evap fan= running fine
- Evap coils= clean. No ice. Would've melted anyway from fridge being room temp
- Condensor coils= Dirty. Cleaned them. Still no result.
- Grill plate= Dirty, cleaned it. Haven't put it back on yet.

Here's what I haven't checked because I didn't have enough time to go out to my shed, get my multimeter, pry apart those parts and test them:

-Thermistor
-Compressor relay
-Capacitor
-Control board
-Freon level (can't do that anyway)

My wife is going to call a repair guy. I'm only agreeing to it because I have a strong feeling it's the Freon.

But mostly I want to arm myself against the same BS tactic I've been suffering a lot lately from other repair people (mechanics, electronics, HVACs) spending 3 seconds looking and shooting STRAIGHT to the MOST EXPENSIVE problem. The problem that makes you weigh out fixing vs buying a whole new thing because it's only $100-$200 difference.

Computer= "Your motherboard's fried"
Car= "The transmissions gone"
Appliance= "It's the compressor"

If the repair guy tells me it's the compressor or another part that fixing it would cost as much as a new fridge, is he lying?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.