Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Msmommypants  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:09:03 AM(UTC)
Msmommypants

Groups: Registered

Noticed a "hot" smell in garage yesterday and when I took clothes out of dryer many hours after the dryer had run, they were very wrinkled but very hot and Dryer was super hot, especially on the top. Unplugged it and it still remained very hot. Opened dryer and looked at the cone and burner tube assembly and the flame was still burning bright orange and yellow and it was quite large- burning the top of the metal cone/tube that surrounds it. We shut for the gas to the dryer and the flame went out and only then did the dryer cool down.
I've seen many posts about shorter or burnt coils on heating assemblies for electric dryers but this dryer does not have one. Even as an avid DIY'er, obviously, gas dryer fire is not something I want to risk, so I'm looking for feedback on whether I can repair it or need to replace. Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:10:33 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That sounds very dangerous. I've never heard of a dryer doing this before and I've got around 30 tears of experience with appliances.

Do not turn the gas back on until you have this repaired or replaced.

I don't know if the gas valves are mechanically stuck open or if its some sort of electrical malfunction that is causing this. I have a hard time believing it could be electrical, because there are thermal fuses and the motor's switch in the power circuit and they should have all shut down the power to the gas valve.

I think the gas valve is stuck open and is probably still open. So if you turn the gas back on it could fill the dryer with gas and that would be real bad.

I'd say replace it or call somebody with good insurance to work on it.
Msmommypants  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:51:53 PM(UTC)
Msmommypants

Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely call a professional. Without knowing what the pilot light SHOULD look like or when it goes on or off, I wasn't certain that wasn't what I was seeing but the one on the stove is a very small blue light, so by comparison, when opening the dryer panel, it almost looked like it was almost "on fire". Thanks again.:eek:
Msmommypants  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:52:00 PM(UTC)
Msmommypants

Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely call a professional. Without knowing what the pilot light SHOULD look like or when it goes on or off, I wasn't certain that wasn't what I was seeing but the one on the stove is a very small blue light, so by comparison, when opening the dryer panel, it almost looked like it was almost "on fire". Thanks again.:eek:
Msmommypants  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:52:05 PM(UTC)
Msmommypants

ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:54:40 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
There is no pilot. It was on fire and if the motor and blower were not running, that makes it so much worse. As in very dangerous.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply