Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clivedaw  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 12:47:03 AM(UTC)
clivedaw

Groups: Registered

I am having an unusual problem with my KitchenAid fridge (KSSC42QTS00). The interior light is controlled by a switch which is pressed by a lever attached to the upper hinge of the fridge door. This lever consists of an Extension (#33 in cabinet diagram; part # AP5988911) connected to a Cam (#11 in cabinet diagram; part # AP6005693). The square hole of the Cam fits onto the post of the Upper Hinge (#3 in door diagram; part # AP6006923) and is held in place by a screw which screws into the hinge post. Over time, this screw loosened enough that the cam slipped off the post. At that point, the very powerful spring connected to the Extension caused the head of the screw to shear off. I now need to replace both the screw as well as the hinge. The screw has a diameter too small for me to use normal screw-extraction methods. My problem has two parts: 1) The parts diagram does not show the screw. (Don't tell me it's #35 in the cabinet diagram--that's a different screw which joins the extension to the cam.) 2) I ordered the hinge, but the part I received has NO THREADING inside the post. I ordered a second hinge and it has the same problem. Has anybody replaced this hinge and had to deal with this issue? I realize that it's rather weird to be asking about missing threading in a hinge to accommodate a screw that's missing on the parts diagram. The attached picture shows the assembly I'm talking about. On the far right, you see the square hole of the cam slipped onto the hinge post, and if you look closely you can see the broken screw inside the post. The green spring (when attached to the extension) is what sheared off the screw head.
clivedaw attached the following image(s):
IMG_4371.JPG
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.