Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DougW72  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:43:16 PM(UTC)
DougW72

Groups: Registered

I took my dryer apart to remove a piece of debris that was logged in between the guide wheel and the drum. Now after reassembling the dryer it wont start.
The control panel lights up and when I push the start button I here a click
where the power supply is. Like a switch or relay. But it doesn't come on.
I took it back apart but found no loose connections or any obvious reason for it not to come on. I know it was working. Just before I took it apart I turned it on to listen for the sound I was told it was making.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Servicer  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 9:30:53 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

There's a switch on the motor called a broken belt switch. When the belt is removed, this switch is activated by the pulley and the circuit to the motor is opened.

Take the back off and get to the motor. You'll see a switch with a plunger on each side. Press the plunger on the left towards the right and you should hear a click.

After this is done, the unit should run.

KC
kriegspire20  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:46:24 PM(UTC)
kriegspire20

However, when I attempt to press the button on the left towards the right it doesn't click. I can press the right button to the left and make it click, then press the left button to the right and get a click. But I still cannot turn it back on.

I have all the lights working, but it doesn't start. If I have the Signal light on, I get a beeping sound when I press the Start button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Servicer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:27:03 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

Below is the motor circuit for the WTMC dryers:

1) 120vac leaves out of the board on two brown wires that are plugged into a green plug. To check this, you'll remove the plug, start the unit and check for 120vac across the two pins.

2) The nuetral runs straight to the motor, but the hot leg goes to to non-resettable Thermal Overload Device (TOD). This TOD is near the lint filter housing and hard to get to, however, the next step will tell us if it's bad or not. The TOD would trip if the air temps near the filter rose too high, but this is unlikely, because there's a temperature sensor near the TOD that will cause the control to throw an error code if it were to get too hot.

3) Unplug the broken belt switch. Check it for 120vac coming into the plug. If you do read 120vac, the TOD is good. If not, hire someone to replace the TOD, because it's not an easy fix, i.e. it requires the removal of the drum.

4) If power is coming into your broken belt switch, but not leaving out, and resetting it doesn't resolve the issue, replace the broken belt switch. However, if power is entering and leaving the broken belt switch (when the plug is reconnected), the motor is bad, because it's the last component in the circuit.

Good Luck,
KC
kriegspire20  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 8:06:41 AM(UTC)
kriegspire20

Well, as it turned out, everything was working fine with the dryer. In taking it apart to remove the debris that was stuck between the drum and the guide wheel, I must have broke or bowed the plastic wiring harness that secures the button that indicates that door is shut. The piece of plastic on the door that presses the button isn't reaching the button. So rather than take it apart again and find some way to get the harness to secure more firmly against the front, I just extended the piece of plastic by drilling a small screw into the tip to make it about 1/4 of an inch longer. It works fine now. Just like many other things, it helps if it is just a little bit longer. ;)

Thanks for your prompt response.
jlongii  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:20:54 AM(UTC)
jlongii

The advice was spot on! Saved me $200 or so. Will definitely come back to visit and recommend.
elamast  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 2, 2012 11:42:58 AM(UTC)
elamast

That advice about the broken belt sensor also saved me a fortune. Thank you!!!
rhamersma  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 4:14:40 PM(UTC)
rhamersma

took apart my BOSCH Nexxt Dryer due to 2 screws getting jammed in one of the front drum rollers. I THOUGHT I had put everything back together properly until I hit the start button and all I heard was a click. Very disheartening at first as I thought I had broken something or done something wrong trying to fix the dryer in the first place.

This is the only post I could find on the subject of broken belt switches. Your solution was spot on and was the answer to my issues. Now the dryer is running as it should! Thank you KC!

Originally Posted by: Servicer Go to Quoted Post
There's a switch on the motor called a broken belt switch. When the belt is removed, this switch is activated by the pulley and the circuit to the motor is opened.

Take the back off and get to the motor. You'll see a switch with a plunger on each side. Press the plunger on the left towards the right and you should hear a click.

After this is done, the unit should run.

KC
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply