Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kelemvor  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:33:15 PM(UTC)
kelemvor

Groups: Registered

So our Kenmore wash no longer turns on as far as anything electric goes. When we turn the dial and pull the knob out, the water starts to flow but the timer doesn't run at all. If we set it to Spin mode nothing happens at all. It doesn't even try.

It seems like it's not getting any electricity inside the washer at all. I have a Multi-meter but don't know how to use it so if someone can let me know how and where to test anything, I'd be more than happy to.

Pic of the underside of the control panel attached.

Thanks!
kelemvor attached the following image(s):
2017-10-04 19.16.38.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:38:49 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Have you checked the lid switch? Some washers won't do much with the lid open.
kelemvor  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:01:51 PM(UTC)
kelemvor

The switch broke off of the mount it was on a long time ago so I just wired the switch in the position so that it thinks the lid is always closed. I guess the switch itself could have suddenly just up and died. I'll see if I can test it.
kelemvor  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 6:57:47 AM(UTC)
kelemvor

SUCCESS!
Thanks for mentioning the switch. I took it off and noticed that the switch housing itself was coming apart. When I used the multi-meter it was showing movement when the switch was halfway down but not when it was all the way down. Something inside was not working properly.

I ended up breaking the switch open and just connecting the two leads and using electrical tape to permanently attach them. Obviously this bypasses a safety feature but my wife and I know it's like that and are careful.

That seemed to do the trick.
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:29:31 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
You really should just replace the switch. They are less than $10 on Epay. Look for part 3949238

Around $26 here.

Whirlpool WP3949238 Lid Switch Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:57:03 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am glad you found the problem. I agree with ThatGuy you should replace the switch. And 10 bucks is cheap, but if you purchase it here at APP.com and it doesn't fix your problem or if the one you purchase here is defective we have a 365 day money back guarantee.
kelemvor  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:40:02 PM(UTC)
kelemvor

OK, well, maybe not success yet. When I tested it with nothing in the washer, it seemed like it was spinning. However, it now seems like something just isn't engaging all the way.

If I set it to the SPIN cycle and pull the knob out, the drum and agitator start to spin but then the drum stop spinning but the agitator keeps spinning. If I give the drum a push, then it seems to start spinning but something is definitely not right.

I took a look underneath and the motor is working and it's spinning something under the drum but I can't see what's above the part that *IS* spinning.

See the attached picture. The part inside the red square IS spinning but the drum is not. What all do I have to take apart to find out where the disconnect is? I don't know if there's a belt somewhere that's maybe just not gripping well or what.

Thanks!!
kelemvor attached the following image(s):
2017-10-05 19.33.26.jpg
kelemvor  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 5:04:02 PM(UTC)
kelemvor

Well, I found this video online that mentions the clutch and that if it's bad, the drum won't spin well so maybe that's it. Can anyone confirm if you think that sounds like a likely cause or not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB_W6sPdzkM
kelemvor  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 5:36:47 PM(UTC)
kelemvor

Well, I went ahead and took the washer apart and I can spin the clutch band relatively easily so I'm guessing that might be our problem. I happen to have a Sears Parts store that I drive by every day on my way to work so I guess I'll pick one up and see if it does the trick.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply