Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tommcw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:15:39 PM(UTC)
tommcw

Groups: Registered

I have read in numerous places about problems with sagging aprons in GE washers. My washer (GTWN4250D1WS) is doing the exact same thing. The pulley rubs against the bottom of the cabinet. The part that everyone gets referred to is WH49X20925 (AP5806978). But when I look at the compatibility tool it says the part is not compatible with my washer. I looked on GE's site to see what the original part number is, but on the blowup diagram it says "apron not stocked."

Is this part compatible with my washer? If not what part do I need to replace the apron? And how do I confirm that this is the problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:22:48 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

GE WH46X10270 Weld Asm Rod Support - AppliancePartsPros.com

On your unit that is the part you are referring to. The terminology is what throwing you off. GE calls the cabinet the apron so that message on diagrams refers to the painted entire cabinet. The units that got the repair had a 3 piece rod support part on the top edge of the cabinet that was a bad design.

It's still possible that the rod support is bending but I'd check if the suspension rods were worn out or the base is bent up (if it was moved recently on a handtruck). If you pull the front panel off while it is full you'd be able to see if the support is sagging downward enough to cause the whole tub asm to be low. I'd suspect the rods are the culprit, but no way to tell without seeing it myself.
tommcw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 3:52:11 PM(UTC)
tommcw

What would I look for to tell if the rods are worn out? I don't see any obvious bending of the support or the base. It's definitely sagging too low, though. The pulley scrapes on a part of the base and makes a terrible racket.
tommcw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 4:23:19 PM(UTC)
tommcw

Now that I look again, it does appear that the support is sagging. I took pic of it.

IMG_7939.jpg

That is the left side where it's touching the base. Here is the right side for comparison.

IMG_1503a.jpg

It's definitely bent downward. Would it be worth it to replace both the support and the suspension rods? That would be another $60.

Stinks that they don't make the thing strong enough to support the tub without sagging like that. I've never had a washer do that before. Kind of telling that when I go to GE's parts page the part is no longer available. Sounds like they've gone through their whole stock of them.
tommcw attached the following image(s):
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0523.JPG
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply