Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
theboysmom3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:56:14 PM(UTC)
theboysmom3

Groups: Registered

I have an Amana bottom mount freezer. I have noticed water collecting on the fins of the temperature control box in the back of the refrigerator. There is also ice on 2 slots behind the crisper drawers and a small amount of water under the drawers. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 8:21:30 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

There are several possibilities here. 1st question is if temps in fresh food and freezer section are normal?
1) Check your door gaskets; top and bottom doors, air leaks could cause it.
2) Look at back of freezer, you do not want to see any significant ice on back wall.
3) Does the fan in the freezer sound normal? A slow or dead fan might cause it.

Air blows up from the freezer through the damper in the back bottom to cool the top section, if that damper isn't opening/closing properly or airflow is poor moisture in the fresh food air will condense out on the cold damper door and freeze.

Whirlpool R0161050 Damper Control - AppliancePartsPros.com
theboysmom3  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:48:45 AM(UTC)
theboysmom3

Thank you for your response. Door gaskets look good, there isn't any significant ice on the back wall and the fan in the freezer seems to be working as it should. We did take your advice and removed the damper unit. The door with the small spring seems to be working as it should with adjusting the temp. it is a manual damper and my husband adjusted the screw at the bottom, which he must have went the wrong was as it was warmer than it should be. There is a coil on the right side of the damper unit and we are not sure how that affects the damper. We took the whole damper unit out and left it open. Within 6-8 hours things were very very cold in the refrigerator. When my husband readjusted the damper and put it in we are experiencing the same issue. Does that coil on the side effect the coldness? I also noticed that when you open the freezer door and the refrigerator door at the same time the air blows stronger in the refrigerator. There are not any blocks that we are aware of. What would you suggest.
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 12:25:28 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

The coil is part of the thermostat that tells the damper when to open/close. It is a sealed tube, so pressure changes in it correlate with temp.

If you run the unit without a damper it will become a freezer up top too as the 0-10deg air of the freezer is blown up top. The damper's job is to close to block air flow into the fridge and maintain fridge temps.

I do not think you should be able to easily depress the plastic plunger that pushes the damper door, if that plunger moves freely that sounds like a broken damper.
There is no adjustment for it, (or at least I've never adjusted one) so I'm not sure what screw you refer to.

As for airflow it does change when doors are opened, but if you have ice around the damper it probably is also in the return, where warmer fridge air is entering freezer to circulate. It's not always the case but I'd check if I was servicing it. You could let it thaw itself by unplugging the unit for 12-24 hours or find the return(s) and clear them yourself. I can't tell you where they are on that unit, bad memory on my part.
theboysmom3  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 2:17:42 PM(UTC)
theboysmom3

I want to thank you so very much for taking time out of your day to respond to my question. I have gone ahead and ordered the damper you recommended. I will let the fridge sit for 12 or so hours just in case there is ice in the returns and install the new damper unit. Again thank you very much!
PNWDrew  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 2:33:43 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Your welcome. I hope I'm right!