Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobbapa  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:43:08 PM(UTC)
bobbapa

Groups: Registered

My washer makes a loud knocking noise when in the agitating mode. Spin and drain cycle are OK. I have replaced the belt twice due to squeeking in agitating mode only. Anyone know what I should be looking for? I have checked the level and it is perfect.:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 9:10:47 PM(UTC)
applianceman

There are two things that commonly cause this washer to be noisy.

One is that the sifter coil has failed. The sifter is what amounts to a large solenoid that engages or should I say disengages a gear. When the sifter coil is activated it disengages a gear that allows the agitator to move separately from the spin basket. When the sifter coil is not activated the agitator and the spin basket will be locked together. When the sifter fails the spin basket will turn during agitation mode. When this happens you will hear a knocking noise each time the motor changes directions because the brackets will hit from the force of a full tub of water rotating back and forth.

The other is the sagging apron issue. This will typically cause a squealing noise. These two problems often go hand and hand because when the sifter fails there is a tremendous amount of stress put on the machine. Don’t get me wrong the sagging apron issue on some models will happen no matter what due to a manufacture defect but the sifter problem will make this a problem sooner rather than later. To see if you have the sagging apron issue set the washer to full water level, remove the front of the washer and start a cycle. Once agitation starts look under the motor and see if the motor bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer causing a squealing noise.

[FONT='Times New Roman']This page talks about the sagging apron issue and also how to test the sifter coil GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide [/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'][/FONT]
dentum2  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:19:07 PM(UTC)
dentum2

I have read a reply about a sifter coil casusing a knocking noise only during agitation. My washer is a whrilpool Model LSQ9210HQ0. I can not find anything called a sifter coil. Can someone send me the information on this sifter coil?
Thanks, Dennis
applianceman  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2011 5:28:44 AM(UTC)
applianceman

The reply was for a GE model. Your model doesn’t have a sifter coil. Post a new thread with your model number and problem.
debbieshellsea@yahoo.com  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:37:43 AM(UTC)
debbieshellsea@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by: applianceman Go to Quoted Post
There are two things that commonly cause this washer to be noisy.

One is that the sifter coil has failed. The sifter is what amounts to a large solenoid that engages or should I say disengages a gear. When the sifter coil is activated it disengages a gear that allows the agitator to move separately from the spin basket. When the sifter coil is not activated the agitator and the spin basket will be locked together. When the sifter fails the spin basket will turn during agitation mode. When this happens you will hear a knocking noise each time the motor changes directions because the brackets will hit from the force of a full tub of water rotating back and forth.

The other is the sagging apron issue. This will typically cause a squealing noise. These two problems often go hand and hand because when the sifter fails there is a tremendous amount of stress put on the machine. Don’t get me wrong the sagging apron issue on some models will happen no matter what due to a manufacture defect but the sifter problem will make this a problem sooner rather than later. To see if you have the sagging apron issue set the washer to full water level, remove the front of the washer and start a cycle. Once agitation starts look under the motor and see if the motor bracket is hitting the bottom of the washer causing a squealing noise.

[FONT='Times New Roman']This page talks about the sagging apron issue and also how to test the sifter coil GE HydroWave Noisy Washer Repair Guide [/FONT]

It happens all the time upon agitation and spinning to drain, it is not a squealing noise
ethansdad  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 9:27:50 AM(UTC)
ethansdad

The Washing Machine Fills Up With Water But When It Starts To Agitate She Hears A Horrible Noise. It Goes Thru The Wash And Spin Cycles Fine, Just Horrible Noise And An Odor Of Either Oil Or Burnt Smell. What Parts Will Fix This Issue?
PNWDrew  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 8:08:53 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

In general you should start a new thread for a new question. It'll be more likely to get noticed and get an answer from someone. I tend to look for posts with no responses rather than jump in an ongoing thread.

You are probably hearing the pump bearings fail, it's an easy change. But do the belt too if you,are smelling it. Clean the other pulleys before putting the new belt on.

Whirlpool WP35-6780 Washer Drain Pump Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
Whirlpool WP21352320 Washer Drive Belt - AppliancePartsPros.com

Lean the machine back to access the belt, it'll be a black greasy mess probably. Once the belt is off see if the pump pulley in the back right is loose or wobbles from side to side, they are a common failure. It gets changed from the inside (there may be an access panel in the back right there) it's just a few hose clamps and 3 bolts.

If the pump is ok you're looking at a bearing or transmission issue probably and it's not worth replacing. It also isn't a job for anyone but the most diehard DIYers to tackle.