Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gvbill  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:57:03 AM(UTC)
gvbill

Groups: Registered

In replacing the blower fan that was worn around the motor shaft, I noticed the fan had been rubbing against the left side of the rear (motor side) blower housing. The new fan does not rub the rear housing. However, when attaching the front blower cover, the fan rubs against the right side of it. Removing the fan and looking straight down at the motor and shaft, I see that it is not quite perpendicular to the motor assembly bracket to which the blower housing attaches. The bracket is secured to the bottom of the dryer at the front by two screws and, at the rear, by just a tab that slides into the bottom panel. There is slight play both vertically and horizontally at the rear of the bracket (perhaps from some not quite so gentle handling when recently moving of the unit :o ). I've found that securing two washers (about 1/8" total) beneath the right rear corner of the bracket that the motor and shaft are pretty close to perpendicular when the tension of the idler arm pulley is also attached via the belt.
I haven't tested it yet, but I wanted to ask the community whether 1) this sounds like a lasting fix or 2) I should try something else. Oh yeah, if I stick with the wedging solution, how should I prevent potential squeaking from the washers? I was planning on securing them with a screw into the bottom panel. There's already a hole for such in the bracket.
Thank you very much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:45:25 AM(UTC)
thorning

I have seen this a few times when working on the older Maytag units. I also shimmed the blower in terms of its alignment . sometimes the whole motor blower housing has to be shimmed. The blower wheel is not too precise either.
Some of them seem to wobble slightly due to poor quality of the moulding process even with a new wheel. Another area to look at when you have this unit apart is if the drum has been rubbing on the blower housing due to wear of the slipper strips that support the front of the drum. As to how the material got out of whack you might check the floor to see if it as been bent up or down somewhat.
Shim things up so no rubbing or wobble is present and put it back together. Secure the parts with screws as needed. Been there and done that.
gvbill  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 7:46:55 AM(UTC)
gvbill

Update: Instead of shimming the motor bracket, I took it off with motor attached and bent it back in shape. Reassembled everything and working great for a few weeks now. I was getting a faint whistling sound that may have been from the vent or maybe the slippers settling in (?). Yesterday the heater suddenly wasn't igniting again! Turns out the electrical connector to one of the solenoids is very loose fitting and popped off from vibration of unit. A little electrical tape to adhere the connector to the solenoid bracket is working for now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply