Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stinkoman  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 6:02:29 AM(UTC)
stinkoman

Groups: Registered

Hello. I have a Samsung RS261MDWP freezer that is side by side. It was getting pretty cold but not freezing. It in the past has a had tendency to freeze over. So I would unplug it over night and it would start working again. Well this time last time That didn't work any more. So next course was I left it unplugged, doors open for 30 hours, tried the best I could cleaning the coils in the bottom. When I started it up, did power freeze, and It can get really cold, but its not getting cold enough to freeze a few bottles of water I left in there over night. The refrigerator seems to be getting cold enough,but I'm not sure. It sounds like everything is running. I foolishly didn't even think to check to see if the fan by condensor in the bottom was running when I had the panel, off and will check again but it does hum and something seems to be working down below and will check that tonight. Any idea though what it could be? I'm guessing the defrost unit is faulty, or maybe a fan in the freezer isnt working?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 7:15:28 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

If you have the back of the freezer off and the compressor has been running for more than 30 min you should be seeing frost over most of the evaporator, not heavy but a layer of frost. If it is not defrosting you'd have a heavy build up within 4-7 days similar to what you are describing as previous issue.

Some basic checks- Was the evap heavily frosted top to bottom? As in so much frost that the fan at the top would not be able to pull air across the evap and cool the machine?

Reassemble and let run for 24 hours, if it hasn't reached temp by then pull rear panel back off and look for frost again. If it is well frosted at that point your sealed system is likely to be ok. Basic idea is that if the compressor is running and you're not getting a full frost pattern you've got a sealed system issue, as in a restriction of coolant flow or a leak.

Since you've had the rear back panel off to clean the condenser coils feel them for heat, compressing creates high heat and the condenser helps dissipate it. If the compressor has run for 30 minutes and the smaller, black steel line leading out of it toward condenser isn't hot you've got an sealed system issue, regardless of defrost situation.

It's a complex thing to diagnose remotely.
oldbeek  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 11:51:07 AM(UTC)
oldbeek

The defrost heating element is easy to check. There should be 2 wires to it probably at a plug. Ck continuity between the 2 wires. no continuity and the unit is bad. if good then ck defrost controller.
stinkoman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:24:51 AM(UTC)
stinkoman

Follow up. The freezer fan was dead and not circulating the air. I changed it out and corrected my issue. Everything else was working fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply