Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daddeo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 9:52:55 AM(UTC)
Daddeo

Groups: Registered

I have a maytag dryer that works great except for auto dry function on timer, timed dry works great. The auto dry never moves and just runs and doesn't shut off. Everything is very clean, air flow is clear and dries great on timed dry. I also see that the heater coils cycle on and off. Is this a timer issue or cycling thermostat. The unit works great but i think dangerous if someone uses timed dry since it will keep running.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

LC in MI  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 12:50:28 PM(UTC)
LC in MI

Originally Posted by: Daddeo Go to Quoted Post
I have a maytag dryer that works great except for auto dry function on timer, timed dry works great. The auto dry never moves and just runs and doesn't shut off. Everything is very clean, air flow is clear and dries great on timed dry. I also see that the heater coils cycle on and off. Is this a timer issue or cycling thermostat. The unit works great but i think dangerous if someone uses timed dry since it will keep running.

Dadeo, I think you meant the dryer might be dangerous in Auto Dry mode, since is does stop in timed mode. Correct me if I misunderstood your post.

I'm having same issue on a Maytag MDG69206AWW gas dryer. I checked the temp cycle switch with ohm meter, reads zero ohms when cold, put it in temp of about 180, heard it click, then ohms >1000, so it is not the temp cycle switch.

Any ideas on how to proceed?
PNWDrew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 9:52:06 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Quick guess it's the cycling thermostat or the thermostat heater attached to it.
LC in MI  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 2:07:25 PM(UTC)
LC in MI

To PNWDrew, thanks, I will try replacing it and post if this fixes it.
LC in MI  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:45:17 PM(UTC)
LC in MI

Others have suggested it may be the following part, but it is no longer available from the Manufacturer.
Is there another source for it?
Switch, Temperature

Part Number: AP4042477
Made by: Whirlpool
PNWDrew  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:26:55 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

It's possible that it's that switch but not what I'd expect.

Use the actual manufacturer # 33001640 to look for it. The AP #s are for this site. It's available if you Google that #.

If you look at the wiring diagram you're looking for where power to the timer motor comes from. It does pass through that switch so with out testing contacts in the switch it's impossible to rule out.

I don't recall having ever changed one but in 20yrs of doing this I've learned to forget quickly and just diagnose on the spot. I know I haven't done very many at least.

Do you have a multi meter to do electrical checks? What you'd be looking for is if the timer motor is being powered when it is empty and running on an Auto Dry setting. It may take 15-20 min before the machine asks the timer to advance when it's empty but at some point the timer motor should be powered and begin advancing the knob. During time dry that motor should be powered and advancing the knob for the entire time.
LC in MI  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:08:38 PM(UTC)
LC in MI

Originally Posted by: LC in MI Go to Quoted Post
To PNWDrew, thanks, I will try replacing it and post if this fixes it.

Replacing the Temp Switch fixed the problem. Apparently the old Temp switch was failing intermittenltly, so when checked it would sometimes work.

Thanks to folks at APPros for the excellent video on how to install this temp switch.
PNWDrew  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:03:16 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Awesome, I'll remember to consider that switch if I see one with similar issues. Glad you got it.
PNWDrew  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:03:53 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Awesome, I'll remember to consider that switch if I see one with similar issues. Glad you got it.