Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MaxieCode  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 10:29:19 PM(UTC)
MaxieCode

Groups: Registered

Hello,

My Kenmore refrigerator stopped cooling by itself. By that, I mean I hear no compressor noise and no fan noise. Temperature in the fridge raise to 12 C and it still doesn't start cooling.

I vacuumed the bottom air intake (there was a lot of dust on it) and it didn't fix things.

I was able to get it to start cooling by turning the fridge control to off and then back up. Tapping or applying firm pressure to the fridge control also starts the cooling system (lights dim when I tap or apply pressure). However, it would stop cooling again and i have to redo this procedure again.

Any idea which part I should look at replacing? Any parts I should test for continuity?

See diagrams
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 11:45:53 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Whirlpool WP2302286 Thermostat - AppliancePartsPros.com

You've probably already figured this out from what you do to get it to run but it's probably the refrigerator cold control/thermostat above. Classic symptoms.

There is a thermal barrier slid onto that probe that can be a nuisance sometimes.
Whirlpool WP2196003 Thermostat Tube Barrier - AppliancePartsPros.com

You can reuse the original but it may stretch as you pull it off. Note or take a pic of how much of the wire probe and bulb is exposed and it's routing through that control area, you'll need to reproduce this as best possible when you install new parts.

That wire probe is actually a thin hollow pressurized tube, take care to not kink or otherwise subject it to a hard bend that may break it, particularly where it meets the thermostat. I and probably all techs have done it and it may render that part useless. It's not hard just takes patience.

Have fun! You can do this!
MaxieCode  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:04:44 PM(UTC)
MaxieCode

I was able to replace the thermostat part and with that, my refrigerator is fixed. The thermostat probe routing requires a bit of attention to detail but overall wasn't difficult.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement!
Dean Haustead  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:05:05 PM(UTC)
Dean Haustead

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall and locate the defrost drain hose in the bottom back service panel. This hose should have a rubber check valve, which helps regulate humidity and is known for catching trash and clogging. Clean the valve out with hot water and soap, and reinstall the valve.