Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lostfisher1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:41:48 PM(UTC)
Lostfisher1

Groups: Registered

I have an 2010 LG lmx28988SB French door fridge with the freezer on the bottom. My problem is that the fridge does not get cold 50* or so. The freezer only gets to 35-40*. I have checked all the circulating fans, cleaned the coils from any dust, and made sure the evaporator coils were free from ice. The compressor does run but not continually. Maybe 1/2hr or so at a time. The coils do get a little frosty but I believe that is normal. We believe the fridge was slowly loosing its ability to cool over the 7-12days. I have spent the last 3 days tearing the fridge apart and troubleshooting this unit. With not a bit of luck. I have not yet found another case like this. I am leaning towards a Freon leak or a plug somewhere in the cooling system.
Lostfisher1 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2156.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg
IMG_2161.jpg
IMG_2162.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:43:18 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

1/2 hour isn't much time for these to get frosty, I'd expect it to run nearly continuously trying to cool if there was a leak. Unless it was very empty and the comp was overheating, the circulating R-134a provides cooling to the compressor. I can't read your temp on the infrared meter, what's it say? Also when it stops is there a bad noise?

There's a test button on the main board, probably an arrow pointing toward it or nearby. Push it once, it should beep and enter forced run mode. It only stays in forced run a few minutes but it'll bring comp up to full speed/voltage at least. Listen for buzzing or abnormal noises from compressor. I believe this is a variable speed compressor, makes them hard to diagnose as amp draw and voltage is also variable.

Check your owners manual for longer term sealed system warranty, you might have 7 to 10 years on it if your lucky. At that point call a tech.
Lostfisher1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:19:31 AM(UTC)
Lostfisher1

The temp on the gun reads 131*F. I did tap the line there is no problem with the Freon. The test mode does kick on the compressor. For the most part there is a constant humming coming out of the compressor and runs for a few minuets then shuts off . I think it maybe short cycling. I will try to get a timeframe as to how long and how often it kicks. I still have the gauge on the line so I can see when the pressure drops. Is there a way to bypass and manually run the compressor. Maybe the capacitor or temp sensor. I'm just surprised with how much research i've done I'm still stumped.
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:54:41 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Any errors on the display? ER xx would be the format.

If compressor dome is 131f that's pretty hot. Is the high side output line and condenser warm/hot too?

You've tapped the sealed system? Hopefully on process or suction tube? What's the reading? R-134a pressures and Temps run pretty close. So If the evap is 50deg the pressure is close to that. Low side pressures should be right around 0 with comp running and evap frosty.

==>Is there a led flashing on the board?

You have a variable speed linear compressor so you can throw out most of what you read online about compressor diagnosis unless it is specifically about linear compressors. They are difficult to troubleshoot as you can never know what the board is trying to do with that compressor. In theory the forced run mode that it enters when you press the button on the pcb should ramp up the voltage and the compressor to its max speed however that mode isn't active long enough to see much in the way of frost patterns.
Lostfisher1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:10:32 PM(UTC)
Lostfisher1

Unfortunately the fridge is not throwing any codes. We had a friend come over who works on commercial refrigeration. He does not know much about the household units but he is the one who tapped the line. The pressure was right around 25-30 psi when running and 45-50 when not. When I came home from work today I noticed that there is a relatively loud constant buzz coming from the fridge. The compressor does not seem to be running hot anymore but the fridge still sits around 40* in the freezer portion of the freezer. I do not see any led's lighting up on the board. Went fridge shopping today. I was not impressed at all with the selection or the prices. Hopefully I can figure something out. I think I paid $1200 for the fridge 7 years ago.
PNWDrew  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:25:27 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Check you owners manual you may have 7yr sealed system warranty.

Those LG linear compressors​ tend to have problems with their internal valves that hinder or stop their ability to compress. Often making a loud buzzing once valve breaks. I've changed more than a few.
If you are lucky and LG pays for the part the labor may still be $300 or more if it isn't covered, your owners manual will have info.
Lostfisher1  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 4:19:16 PM(UTC)
Lostfisher1

hanks for all your help. We really appreciate people like you helping people like me. At this point I believe we are ordering a new fridge.
PNWDrew  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 4:39:17 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

You are welcome. Its sad but 7-10 years is becoming the new norm in appliances. I personally own a 20 yr old SxS, and a 10 yr old basic for the garage. The SxS looks old but it has 0 computers, it stays cold and I'd trust it over a new one. Bought for $125 off Craigslist 8 yrs ago. It looks old but it works.

My standard advice on replacing is spend as little as you can for the features you need. That way you'll be less upset when it dies young. Avoid the gimmicky ones with TVs, coffee makers, soda makers, etc... Avoid Samsung (401 model #s if Kenmore). Avoid Daewoo (111 model #s if Kenmore). Their prices may look good but you'll pay more on early repairs.

Good Luck
Dean Haustead  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:45:18 AM(UTC)
Dean Haustead

I was arrested by the same type of problem last year with my fridge.Make sure that the condenser fan motor is working properly or not. Check any type of "clicking on and off" noises are there from the compressor or not. Remove the access panel from the freezer section to expose the evaporator coils.
PNWDrew  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:58:25 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Ambient temps would need to be very high for a failed cond fan to cause issues. Its just the laws of physics. As long as that compressor can produce a hot / high pressure gas and there is any heat exchange to allow that gas to become liquid at the condenser it will cool when it expands in the evaporator.

Having changed many of these compressors I'd say it's either the compressor itself or a restriction in the system that is causing the compressor to trip off on safety. I'd need to tap and get low side pressure to narrow it down. Given the buzzing compressor however and the fact that we change these nearly daily I'd go with that diagnosis.