Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RicoKnapp  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:04:46 PM(UTC)
RicoKnapp

Groups: Registered

Lately, it seems like the food/beverages in our fridges are not as could as they should be. I have turned the temp adjustment nob to the coldest setting but it still wont get below 40 degrees. Can you help me diagnose what part needs to be replaced? The freezer works fine. The cooling cycle will turn on because I can hear it running, feel cold air emitting into the fridge, and there is warm air that pushes out of the very bottom of the fridge onto the floor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:03:25 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Assuming that your freezer section is actually ok, and that's a big assumption on a machine of this age; my quick guess is the thermostat/damper;
Whirlpool R0161050 Damper Control - AppliancePartsPros.com
This opens and closes to regulate the flow of air from the freezer up to the fridge.

Before you change that however, please look inside the freezer carefully for ice or frost buildup on the back panel or bottom. Also an accurate thermometer in the freezer would be nice as the difference between 10deg F and 25deg F may not be as obvious as you'd think. Ice cream gets soft by 25 deg. Also is it still making ice normally?
RicoKnapp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:27:14 PM(UTC)
RicoKnapp

The freezer definitely works. the ice maker is pumping out ice cubes. I pulled the back cover of the fridge off and saw the fan working and the compressor was hot. I pulled the back cover of the freezer off and the coils had frost on them and the drain was not plugged. In regards to your recommendation about the duct control. When the fridge is in a cooling cycle and I turn the dial on the temperature adjustment setting for the fridge, should I feel a change in velocity of the air coming out of the duct? Any other suggestions based on what I have written?

I am grateful for your help.
walt0132  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 7:15:52 AM(UTC)
walt0132

Hi guys,
I'm having the same / similar problem so I thought I'd join on this thread as well. I have a GE GBS22HBPACC that has a fridge compartment that won't go below about 40-45.

I have inspected the coils and they are frosty but not frosted over or clogged to the point where they would inhibit airflow. The fan by the coils also appears to be working normally. So I think we can rule out heating element, thermodisc, and freezer coil thermister (as any of those failing would result in frosted over coils).

Next I replaced the thermistor in the ff/fridge compartment, thinking it might be sending bad data back to the board. The problem remained after this. I scoured the forums to find a way to determine definitively if the control board was bad, but it seemed like the answer is "if you rule out other problems, then it's probably the board", so I replaced the board. Still the problem remained. That's where I'm at right now.

The next item on my list of suspects is the damper assembly. Is there any testing I can do to determine if this is at fault? I'd rather not take the chance that it's *maybe* the problem and spend the time and money on it without a good idea that it will fix the problem.

This is my last hope, if I can't determine conclusively this is the cause then I think it may be time to write the fridge off (I think it's 10+ years old) and get a new one.

Can anyone offer some advice or help?

Thanks,
-Tim

PS. I didn't mention it explicitly, but the freezer temp is just fine, around 10 degrees F.
RicoKnapp  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 7:24:07 AM(UTC)
RicoKnapp

So I completely misunderstood how my fridge gets cold air. My old house had a dual cooling system so the fridge and freezer had their own climate control devices. With my amana, the damper control, which I thought was an actual thermostat control, just controls the amount of air that blows into the fridge from the freezer. So I turned up the temp control in the freezer to make it colder and when I can out this am, I had a fridge at 37 degrees and it's holding.

Hope this helps.