Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weidnerr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:51:41 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Groups: Registered

Clothes are too wet after final spin. Belt still looks new. Machine is less than five years old. No standing water in tub after final spin.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:56:35 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

FYI: That machine is certainly older than 5 years if that is correct model #. Hasn't been made since 2005-6. Whirlpool bought Maytag and discontinued all Maytag designs. That is a Maytag design. I can look up actual manufacture date if you post the serial #.

If there are no abnormal noises, no heavy rattles and it seems to be pumping the water out normally here's the list.

Possible parts:
#1 is the thrust bearing not releasing brake. Common on these, it sometimes isn't an easy job but a determined DIYer can do it. Lean it back and turn the big pulley by hand. One direction should free spin, the other should cause the thrust bearing / cam to release the brake. This means the transmission can spin. You'll need front off to see the whole trans spin. If it doesn't try turning it faster, if still no trans motion you probably need this kit. You can pop the white plastic dust cap off the pulley and see an alignment arrow on the inner cam that should release the brake within the two lines on the pulley that indicate normal travel. It may not be easy to see them as it will be greasy.
Whirlpool 12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

#2 is transmission itself. This would require a special tool, is pricey, and is not a DIY job. It is pretty complex and by now you may need to drill the basket bolts out. I've never known an owner to do it, though it is possible if you can find the brake rotor tool and are very determined.
Whirlpool 35-6615 Ht Trans S - AppliancePartsPros.com

#3 belt slipping - not real common, you stated it looked fine but I'd look if I came out no matter what cust said... no offense to you. What we look for and what you look for may not be the same thing at all. This usually comes with a nasty odor from the overheating belt. I'd look for damage from heat, greasiness, oil leakage from transmission, etc..
weidnerr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:44:01 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Thanks for the info. I took the belt to an Appliance repair business and he said the belt looked brand new and must be something else. Im guessing number 1...Saturday I will be checking it out. Wife said it's not spinning as fast. Im thinking of filling it up with water and watching it do a cycle
weidnerr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:46:53 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Does this model have a clutch?
PNWDrew  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:12:28 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

No clutch like the later Whirlpool design Maytag would have.

Instead when that big pulley is turned it pushes a cam that lifts the brake rotor off of the stator to allow the gearcase to spin. The whole gearcase spins.

If you pop that white plastic dust cover off you'll see at least part of that mechanism. The cam is the white plastic piece right above the washer and e-clip. The repair kit includes everything you would need except a fair amount of patience because getting the e-clip and washer back on can be a lot of fun.

It's hard to describe exactly but once that dust cover is off and you turn the pulley by hand it will make more sense. It's a fairly quick test.

There is another possibility that you can look for while you have that little cover off. Sometimes as those gearcases fail the drive shaft that the pulley drives will develop some free play so instead of lifting the brake, that cam pulls the shaft downward an eighth or quarter inch. The thrust bearing kit contains two different thickness washers that you can use either or both as needed. You must use one though.

The parts aren't that expensive so unless there is obvious shaft freeplay it might be worth doing. Like I said though getting it reassembled is not always an easy job.
weidnerr  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 4:53:16 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Thank you very much PNWDrew
weidnerr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:49:18 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

MAV3758aww

I turn the big transmission pulley on the bottom and the agitator is spinning freely in both direction with the belt off. Should there be resistance in one direction. At first glance I didn't see any marking like I have seen on the bearing kit replacement.

Regards,
Robert
weidnerr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:45:27 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

There is a round hole about the size of the snap ring straight through the dust cover. I wanted to add a pic but don't have a web link. Something has caused the shaft to drop I guess?
weidnerr  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:03:30 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Bearing and cam parts all still look good. Bearing is spinning free with no noise. Only one washer. Wondering why the shaft dropped and spun a hole in the dust cover? The hole is the diameter of the snap ring.
weidnerr  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:08:16 AM(UTC)
weidnerr

Pulled the cover off the large pulley. There is a round hole in it about the size of the snap ring. All the pieces look fine and the bearing is spinning freely with no noises. What could have caused the shaft to drop into the dust cover? Do you think the transmission is shot? When I spin the large pulley there is no resistance either way I spin the pulley. The agitator spins in the tub.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply